Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/10/automobiles/video-the-2015-gmc-canyon-brings-competition-to-midsize-pickups.html?action=click&contentCollection=New Cars&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

I don't get it. Why would ANYONE pony up 39 large for a mid-sized pickup with a V-6 that doesn't get appreciably better mileage than a V-8.

We all KNOW a V-8 motor with a timing CHAIN, properly maintained, will easily go 200k+ miles and a V-6 is lucky to make it to 125k, requiring timing belt$$$ and a LOT more maintenance along the way.

I bought a 21 year old V8 Chevy 4x4 for $3k, now have almost $9k in it ($3k more than planned) and it will most certainly out-haul, out tow, and out-last the $39K V-6 now offered by GM.

The only things it lacks are six airbags, onboard WIFI, and a completely plastic, chrome-plated plastic grille and "bumper cover" over styrofoam. Mine's STEEL.

At $1.99 a gallon, or even $2.99, who really give's a R.A. about getting 4 mpg better highway mileage? I use a truck to haul occasionally, tow a small trailer (firewood, motorcycles), launch a light sailboat, help out neighbors, not as a daily commuter.

With the freshly re-upholstered seats and paint job, people constantly ask me if I got a "new" pickup truck.

WTF is the General thinking? YTF don't they build a full-sized small-block V8 truck, strip the interior, skip the touchscreen and WIFI, and sell it for $25K. Knock the F150 off the throne. Or assemble a tiny, EcoBoost 4 cylinder truck in Mexico to fill the gigantic sucking black hole left behind when Toyota and Nissan quit making truly SMALL, reliable trucks.

What is this obsession / blind obedience to corporate bean-counters of ONLY constructing trucks dealers can net $5k (OR MORE) on?

Is it time to get rid of dealers in the auto AND the MC world, replacing them with Internet car/truck ordering, and merely having "Approved factory service centers" who can bill Tesla/whoever for warranty repairs.

Tell me ONE THING stealerships and salespeople bring to the table, today.

Azzwipe legislatures in SEVERAL states have passed laws preventing Tesla from selling directly to consumers. Oh yeah, free country we live in.

General Motors MUST have some good engineers, but their "designed by committee" products and march towards stuffing a V6 in everything....results in one after another sucky product, imho. What's next, a V6 Corvette?

It's sad that the only legacy GM has is the small block Chevrolet V8 motor they designed in the 1950's.

$39K for a V-6 pickup? I think not.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
Do people really have such a short memory? You would think with all the attention this truck is getting in the news, that GM just invented the mid size truck. I'll hang onto my ten year old Dakota thank you. I still say the big three stopped selling their smaller trucks because they were taking sales away from their full size trucks. Seems like that the only company it didn't work out for was GM.:biggrin:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've a 2001 Nissan Frontier. Six cylinder. Automatic. 261,000 miles. I did change the timing belt about 100,000 miles ago, as routine maintenance. Even chains are supposed to be changed out at a service interval. My 1983 Dodge, with the 318 V8, had one break. Thankfully, it was in the driveway. No damage done.

I do use a truck as a daily driver. It was my daily before I had a bike. It was what I drove on rainy or cold days when I did have a bike, and it's my daily again now that I'm temporarily bikeless. It's hauled furniture, compost, pavers, camping gear, canoes, a kayak and other assorted stuff. It's also pulled a boat on a trailer. Once, it pulled one without a trailer, out of it's watery grave in a flooded borrow pit. My Fronty is a great truck.

And it was far less than $39,000. $19,500. GM can kiss my ass. The price of Frontiers has gone up, but not to $39,000. Wonder if they'll make that diesel Colorado, and what will it go for?

I've no need or desire to drive another "full size" pickup. Eight foot beds and V8s were great, when I needed them. Now-a-days, I need a truck that gets okay gas mileage, and can haul stuff for the house and fishing trips.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,857 Posts
Just have to know how to Look around .. Bought this 2007 Chevy Silverado in 2010 for an Idiot that wanted my Motorcycle and 7,000 to boot, My Bike was worth 5K-6K tops (2004 Heritage) add 7K you have 12K-13K .. Truck was Wholesale Value at 21K :) Was a Extended Cab with the 6 Litre Engine ..

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,482 Posts
Bines, I too have an 01 Fronty, but it only has 118k on it. Supercharged full cab. I love it, it will haul my car or the boat and never miss a beat.

·
Registered
518 Posts
10 points to Critter. And another 10 for being named Critter.

And to answer the question about dealerships and salespeople; they don't do anything useful for the customer. All a dealership needs to be is a store to store vehicles for sale. Slap a reasonable price on the vehicles. Put some checkout lines up front, and lets go. Need financing? Go to a bank. It'd be easy, if we knew the otd price up front. The same financers who work with dealers could work through banks. Or do it online. It's all about the numbers anyway. Have a trade in? That should be handled by an onsite department that buy your vehicle outright. Never mind what you're buying from them. Make me an offer for what I'm selling.

Ah. In a perfect world.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have a 2005 Colorado with about 130,000 on it. It has the I-5 engine. I like it. Gets 25 mpg on highway unloaded. I pulled a two-horse trailer with it for years. Still going strong. My only real complaint is the driver side foot wells are a bit narrow which gets uncomfortable on long trips.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mine's a 1997 with 209K on the clock and a whining transmission. For the most part runs like a brand new truck asides from very mild shift shock. A non-tech probably wouldn't even notice.

Reading this article on GM pickups it appears I got one of the "good years" for a C/K 1500.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/05/the-chevrolet-silverado-part-i/comments/page/2/#comments

I went and looked at a cherry, (REALLY cherry) 1994 Ford F250, 460 gasser, ext cab, longbed, 4x4 stick this morning with only 80K miles on it. Absolute MINT condition as if it has been garaged entire life. New tires.

Decided not to buy it but thought perhaps some inmate might be interested. $7995 asking.

I test drove it, engaged the 4x4 in a dirt field, and aside from it having a smoker for PO I could find absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. AC was ice cold.

Anyone need a big, powerful, cheap truck? You couldn't touch something like this new for under $50K.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'll be sticking with my 89 Silverado SS 350. Likes her gas, but for the 300 bucks I paid for her and the additional 700 I put in to fixing her up (head gaskets, heater core, cat removal) I walked away with a sweatheart deal. She's high milage, but runs like a beast now. Man, the power without the cat is amazing!!! Don't have to go through emissions now, so until I win the lottery and can afford a high performance cat, she's staying with the straight pipe.

There is no way I'd pay what my son paid for his 2004 gmc sierra.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I'm down to a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton worktruck with a whopping 4.3 and a whole 134,000 miles on it.

Sold the business and got rid of the V10 and the 460 1 ton duallys, two of the best trucks I ever owned. Replaced both transmissions once, never had another problem with them.

Bought a 2005 Colorado new, found out it was only a 1/4 ton pickup. It was a great truck for 98,000 miles, then the box fell off and the dash quit working. Funny thing is GM said it was my fault because it lasted three years without a problem.

If I buy another pickup, it will either be a Ford or a Toyota, the only reason I still have a GM in my drive is because I bought it in 94, long before I bailed out GM and Chrysler. At least Chrysler paid the money back, GM only paid a little back and our wonderful leader allowed them to keep over 10 million to stay in business.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm down to a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton worktruck with a whopping 4.3 and a whole 134,000 miles on it.

Sold the business and got rid of the V10 and the 460 1 ton duallys, two of the best trucks I ever owned. Replaced both transmissions once, never had another problem with them.

Bought a 2005 Colorado new, found out it was only a 1/4 ton pickup. It was a great truck for 98,000 miles, then the box fell off and the dash quit working. Funny thing is GM said it was my fault because it lasted three years without a problem.

If I buy another pickup, it will either be a Ford or a Toyota, the only reason I still have a GM in my drive is because I bought it in 94, long before I bailed out GM and Chrysler. At least Chrysler paid the money back, GM only paid a little back and our wonderful leader allowed them to keep over 10 million to stay in business.
What do you mean "the box fell off"? I have replaced a window motor and a heater switch, and that has been it.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
The braces at the rear of the box welds broke on both sides. This truck was never used for anything but asphalt travel as a customer service truck by my wife. It was never abused or loaded down.

The heater controls are worthless on the dash, on ours the temp knob would not turn. Had to replace the whole panel there, was $800. Then the fan switch went out on the new panel, GM wouldn't replace it after I had to change out the panel a few months earlier.

I took it in for the second oil change at 5,500 miles, the guy told me the transmission housing was cracked and fluid was seeping out, not a lot, but enough to get a drip. I called the dealer and they did come pick it up and deliver us a car to drive while it was being repaired. Guess there was a flaw in the housing. They replaced the transmission that day and returned the truck to us. That was the only great service we got from GM on that truck, it went to no support after that. Kept it three years and then traded it in on a Ford, 6 years later, not a single problem with the Explorer and 140,000 miles on it.

My brother has had three Colorados, he was trading them when they got 80,000 miles on them. He has since moved on to Fords, hasn't had any problems with the Fords, especially on the warranty side.

We did like the Colorado, was great on gas and the ride wasn't that bad. Had gobs of power if I needed to pass someone. Just must have been a bad one.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The braces at the rear of the box welds broke on both sides. This truck was never used for anything but asphalt travel as a customer service truck by my wife. It was never abused or loaded down.

The heater controls are worthless on the dash, on ours the temp knob would not turn. Had to replace the whole panel there, was $800. Then the fan switch went out on the new panel, GM wouldn't replace it after I had to change out the panel a few months earlier.

I took it in for the second oil change at 5,500 miles, the guy told me the transmission housing was cracked and fluid was seeping out, not a lot, but enough to get a drip. I called the dealer and they did come pick it up and deliver us a car to drive while it was being repaired. Guess there was a flaw in the housing. They replaced the transmission that day and returned the truck to us. That was the only great service we got from GM on that truck, it went to no support after that. Kept it three years and then traded it in on a Ford, 6 years later, not a single problem with the Explorer and 140,000 miles on it.

My brother has had three Colorados, he was trading them when they got 80,000 miles on them. He has since moved on to Fords, hasn't had any problems with the Fords, especially on the warranty side.

We did like the Colorado, was great on gas and the ride wasn't that bad. Had gobs of power if I needed to pass someone. Just must have been a bad one.
Sounds like you did get a bad one. That temp knob and fan switch do seem like weak points. That is weird about the box. I have been pretty rough on mine. I have hauled a lot of heavy stuff in mine with out problems. Factory springs are weak for it though, and I put on some Super Springs.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Mine's a 1997 with 209K on the clock and a whining transmission. For the most part runs like a brand new truck asides from very mild shift shock. A non-tech probably wouldn't even notice.

Reading this article on GM pickups it appears I got one of the "good years" for a C/K 1500.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/05/the-chevrolet-silverado-part-i/comments/page/2/#comments

I went and looked at a cherry, (REALLY cherry) 1994 Ford F250, 460 gasser, ext cab, longbed, 4x4 stick this morning with only 80K miles on it. Absolute MINT condition as if it has been garaged entire life. New tires.

Decided not to buy it but thought perhaps some inmate might be interested. $7995 asking.

I test drove it, engaged the 4x4 in a dirt field, and aside from it having a smoker for PO I could find absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. AC was ice cold.

Anyone need a big, powerful, cheap truck? You couldn't touch something like this new for under $50K.
Except for the lemon Dodge I owned, I drive nothing but Chevy's and I see these trucks with 200-300k in my shop almost daily and seriously I doubt some of the claims as well as some of these people's maintenance practices who have had successive lemons. My last 4 Chevy's have had 229k on an 89 C1500, 300+k (I think 327k but I can't recall exactly) on a 96 C2500, 150k (totalled by daughter) on a 99 Silverado, 264k on a 2001 and I just picked up a 2002 Silverado with 36k on it I'll drive to 300k if some stupid texter doesn't take it out.

As for the 460, stay away from the big blocks, while they may pull better, they don't generally last near as long as the small block trucks.

I drive my trucks too hard and too long, for it to be cost effective to nurse a Japanese truck to high mileage.

·
American Legion Rider
18,563 Posts
That's the one thing about my desire to at least give Ford another chance. Every Chevy I've had I just drive the heck out of and have really no major problems. Except my wife's Colorado. That was one piece of junk. Finally dumped it when we got a recall notice about valves and we was out of warranty. Wife wanted a little more luxury anyway so traded for a Buick. Let them worry about the valves. But a general track record of no problems is real hard to ignore.

·
Registered
699 Posts
That's the one thing about my desire to at least give Ford another chance. Every Chevy I've had I just drive the heck out of and have really no major problems. Except my wife's Colorado. That was one piece of junk. Finally dumped it when we got a recall notice about valves and we was out of warranty. Wife wanted a little more luxury anyway so traded for a Buick. Let them worry about the valves. But a general track record of no problems is real hard to ignore.
What year model and what engine did she have?

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
My experience with the big three pickup offerings. I've always needed a half dozen or so pickups for my business. I keep all my trucks until they have over 200,000 miles. In the beginning I was a diehard Chevy guy. Their motors and transmissions would last forever. Not so the rest of the trucks. Just off the top of my head I remember constantly replacing driver door and tailgate latches, saggy door hinges, front wheel bearings, turn signal/wiper switches, air conditioner compressor clutches, blower motors and resistors, two trucks we needed to park inside when it rained so there wouldn't be a puddle of water in the cab. I can think of more, but I'm tired of typing.
Then I switched to Ford. All I'll say is so far I've saved easily over 30% on maintaining the Fords over the Bowties. However, and not surprisingly, as they get older and the milage started getting over 150,000 they go downhill fast. Stuff like fuel pumps, check engine lights, an alternator, stuff like that. But only after they got older. And while I never had a transmission fail in the Chevys, I had one go bad in one of the Fords. Luckily it was replaced under warranty.
My last three personal trucks have been Dodges two Rams and my current Dakota. I just like the way they look, sound, their interiors, etc. While they don't appear to be as heavily built as the Fords, as I bought new Dodges for myself and rolled my old Rams into the work fleet, the 1/2 ton Rams have more than held their own against the 3/4 ton Fords and Chevys. I think I've put a crankshaft sensor:confused: and wheel sensor on one, and a blower resistor on the other. I'm still waiting on all the doom and gloom horror stories to come true about owning Dodges.:rolleyes: And since they stopped selling Dakotas, they're going to need to pry the keys for my '04 Dakota from my cold dead hands.:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts