Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i explain the problem im going to explain the bike so more people might be able to help me. I have a 1975 Suzuki TS185 Enduro bike. Its a 185cc (technically 183cc) 2-stroke dual sport. Mikuni VM26 carb, no air filter and has a separate Oil tank on the left side of the seat for 2stroke oil. Well i got this thing for christmas and it had been sitting in a barn for about 5 years without being started. when i got it, it leaked fuel bad so i Completely replaced the fuel lines, cleaned and re-sealed the petcock (which is bolted directly onto the steel gas tank) and cleaned outand re-sealed the carb. Just to be safe i mixed some oil into the gas tank plus the oil from the injector. The bike will start 2nd kick (has good compression because i cant even kick the starter i have to put my weight into, and when it DOES idle, its sounds extremely loud and powerful) but it doesnt want to idle. its got the original tach and redlines at 8,000-10,000rpm. If i dont keep going at the throttle the bike will imediately die below 3000rpm. My dad has alot more bike knowledge than me and thinks that the carb has gone bad. but to replace it would cost about 100 bucks. What is your opinion on why my bike wont idle? what can i do to fix this as i want to street legalize it and ride it on the streets everyday. thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
Install an air filter and see how much that helps, first.

Eric :)
:thumbsup: After that then I would look into the carb and really make sure the jets are cleaned out. carb cleaner followed by compressed air to be sure that there is no gunk clogging up the jets.

·
Banned
4,400 Posts
Don't forget to check the intake manifolds for leaks/cracking and replace the
O-rings from the manifolds to the cylinder head. (vacuum leaks.)

Eric :)

·
Blood Type: 10W 30
389 Posts
Ya man,

Remember what I said in the other thread about the pilot jet!

Also, there is an oring in these carbs that seals the main jet to the needle valve. It needs to be in good shape!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts