Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so its not around the world, but I thought 3200 kms in 7 days, through 7 countries for Riders for Health was pretty impressive. Oh, and on Chinese 125cc bikes!! We wanted to take in the Nurburgring on the tour too, for a couple of laps

The purpose of the trip originally to highlight our new model we are releasing the SP125 and one of our other models from 2014, the Cafe 125cc, but I soon realised that charity could benefit as well as the good publicity for our own brand Sinnis Motorcycles, here in the UK. Also we wanted to prove that you dont have to own some £10,000 bike to see the world and have an adventure

We started from Brighton UK, and in 7 days had "done" France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Czech Republic and the Netherlands and covered 3200 KMs with Zero break downs, a small crash, two new rear light bulbs and a change of spark plugs (Just as preventative maints).

Ok the gear - this is the thing we were warned about. And good god they were right. Best gizmos in the world? Bluetooth headset from Chatterbox (saved our lives many times) and Iphone 5 waterproof bike mount from Twisty Ride (When the crap Garmin satnav gave up, the trusty Iphone was the only way - even in a monsoon this thing was amazing). Also I have to mention my Nitro helmet - it was £100 and it was absolutely brilliant!

Before the trip we threadlocked and checked all of the nuts on the bike, and also threaded a new clutch cable and throttle cable to rest along side the old one on the bike (quick change if needed). We didnt change the tyres (everyone bangs on about crap Chinese tyres in the wet, and I wanted to disprove that on our bikes in particular), and we put 250 miles on the bikes and then serviced them the day before leaving. Spares - we took a spark plug and reg rec, plus a few bulbs.

We left on Sunday afternoon and headed from Brighton to Ashford in Kent to catch Le Shuttle. (Underground train (under the channel) from UK to Calais - takes about 25 mins) Met some cool French Po Po who were very interested in the adventure, but they wouldnt let me photograph them.

Once in Calais we blazed up to Belgium, in particualr Bruges. I (the 6'2" 17 stone one) have been there before, but my colleague Lukas (bigger beard - ZZ Top revival) had always wanted to go, so it was first on our hit list.

These ladies snapped a pic of my beard, and then ran away laughing. Damn it

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag163/MikeSinnis
/Sinnis%20Europe%20Trip/DSC_1898_zps7cb75917.jpg

After a couple of hours walking about sampling waffles, chocolate and the clean air (and overpriced ..... everything) we got back on the bikes and headed to Spa Francorchampe racetrack - our stay that night was at AEAventures, biker only really friendly accomodation. Neil (the owner) and his wife, have an awesome set up, not to mention he is a Nurburgring instructor and does conducted tours etc. The place is full of memorabelia and they even have a dry room, so the massive down pour we suffered on the way (which soaked absolutely everything) didnt ruin our time - as by the morning it was totally dry! AE Aventures is located withing the old Spa racetrack, and next to the new one - an absolutely amazing location!! I will be going back - without doubt

A view from AE Aventures - you drive through this forest on the way

Their website is here - http://www.aeaventures.com/
I could live there - its beautiful

So far we had had, one massive down pour, and no dramas (other than the price of Tourist food) and fully ladened the SP was doing 62 mph and the Cafe 70+ on the motorway. We didnt want to do much more motorway though - so A roads it was

More coming

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok after leaving AEAventures and having a long chat with Neil about taking 125cc bikes onto one of the fastest public tracks in the world, we decided that we would pop to Spa Francorchampe circuit and then head to "The Nurburgring"

When we arrived at the Ring, we witness the speeds that some cars were doing on the track and decided that for safety reasons we would not go on. To be fair if a car is doing 80mph around a corner and they see me in front doing 25mph exiting the corner - it would not be a good outcome. Beautiful place and setting anyway - so we were really glad we went

While we were there, sipping coffee we got chatting to two guys (One from Canada and one from Germany) who were best friends and had never been on a bike before - so we though we would give them lessons.

We then headed off via Luxembourg to make our way to the Czech Republic

The Bavarian hills were just amazing (we got so much video footage!)

Another ridiculous down pour and then (with sore arses) we made it through the black hills

Found an awesome tea house in Prague

Astronomical clock and Sex Machine Museum in Prague. I didnt realise they had a museum for me

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so from Prague we headed up to Liberec to meet the editor of Moto Haus magazine. The biggest mag in Czech Republic.

This man was about 6'8" - great guy, even let us stay at his house.

Awesome S&S bedfellow

Great language barrier

Plane bar !! Sells icecream - perfect

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We then headed for Dresden, steeped with history and culture (The Allies effed this place up good and proper in WW2 - well done boys)
One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

The only problem - German public holiday, no hotels at all. We arrived middle of the night and no where was available. We eventuially found two bed in a hostel called Lollis Hostel. It was amazing, the best hostel ever (that I have seen) and just up the road from the Heavy Duty Metal bar. So we decided to let our hair down - too much

Stay here - 14 Euro per night with bedding and nice showers and really cool staff

We got drunk, I left all my stuff in the room - we offended the other sleepers! Well done to the British lads. But still they loved us

Met a German CX rider, travelling the whole of Germany. He loved our SP125

After one massive hangover - from hell, and a huge breakfast we moved forward to Leipzig. I might add this is all on A roads, so time was slow and beautiful. Never take a 125 on the Autobahn - its dangerous enough at 100 mph

Proof the beards rock

Missed my girlfriend - and she informed me we are having a baby over the phone!

Met some really cool people with some beautiful Simpsons

We then found THE BEST biking road in Europe. Full of waving bikers, twisty roads, countryside and cafes and things to see.

Nom nom

Awesome trabby and Quick change of spark plug

Then back on route

All on A roads. So we took the option of Germany on A roads, then get to Netherlands then hit the Motorways. At this point I may mention that off all of the drivers I have ever witnessed - Belgian Motorway drivers are unique. This is my own personal (and a few others I have chatted to) opinion, but lets just say, If they had a Belgian driver awareness course, no one would turn up. Becuase they would have all crashed into each other on the way.

Rain, agressive overtaking and lots of cutting up, trucks that try to race you - they have it all. (Ok maybe the rain wasnt fair).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And tiredness outside an old people home we stormed for tea and cake
They loved us - I think

I turned Russian

Lukas turned to candy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
then back to crappy Calais for 10.30pm in the pouring rain.
The excitement fully gone

Then a mad dash from Kent down to our beloved Brighton for 1am - in the rain. You cant beat your own bed!!

So all in all - to sum up

3200 kms or 2000 miles on two Sinnis 125cc Machines through 7 countries. No breakdowns, the bikes cost £1500 for the Cafe and £1295 for the SP125 and the kit (which could have all been dumped bar the Lomo bag, Twisty ride Iphone holder, Chatterbox Bluetooth set and a decent coverall waterproof suit). Id say not bad at all
Didnt even swap the tyres out for stickier ones and the only maints was a spark plug and a couple of bulbs.
Raised a bit of money for charity too. How bad can it be?

I loved it all - even in the monsoon. I have loads of Go Pro video and Muvi Video that im now editing (we had four cameras)

I woke up the next day wanting to get back out there. Ok, maybe on a 250cc + machine, but thats only because of speed on the motorways. The 125s were perfectly capable on the A roads.

Great experiance. And would gladly help anyone else in their quest to do the same

New arse please

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
OK so you rode about 2000 miles in a week after extensive preps. I'm really impressed. I ride that kind of miles in 3 or 4 days quite often with no more preps than making sure I have packed enough clothes and have my heart disease pills with me. At under 300 miles per day I would frankly be embarrassed to even try to brag about it.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
OK so you rode about 2000 miles in a week after extensive preps. I'm really impressed. I ride that kind of miles in 3 or 4 days quite often with no more preps than making sure I have packed enough clothes and have my heart disease pills with me. At under 300 miles per day I would frankly be embarrassed to even try to brag about it.
Says the guy with a fancy touring motorcycle. ;)

Try that on a 125cc bike, ANY 125cc bike (including Japanese bikes), and you might have a different perspective.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Hardly fancy. For creature comforts my bike is almost stock.
I have owned and ridden a 125 in my early days and no way would I ever try to travel far on it. A 125 can be nice for running short errands but is not a suitable touring machine. If you want to do long miles, get a bike that is suited to it. As you noted, sort of in a backhanded way, I have one of the ones that are suited to it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
That looks like an awesome trip, & a great way to sample so many different cultures. How well did your (_|_)'s endure the trip? Those bikes look to be kinda cramped & not a very big seat.

I guess your biggest point is to show how well a tiny Chinese built bike will endure a longer ride? You obviously must know the brand quite well. What % of bikes sold get warranty claim work done on them?

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
I have owned and ridden a 125 in my early days and no way would I ever try to travel far on it. A 125 can be nice for running short errands but is not a suitable touring machine. If you want to do long miles, get a bike that is suited to it. As you noted, sort of in a backhanded way, I have one of the ones that are suited to it.
Didn't you just prove my point, though? You tell these guys that there's no way you'd brag about the ride they just did, that you'd even be embarrassed by the ride, yet also say you'd never try it on a small bike like they used. That tells me that their feat was indeed impressive, and that you were completely lost on the reason why they did it.

I still think the ride was impressive...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts