Discussion Starter #1
title says it all
im 320 and im looking to buy my first bike
any suggestions are greatly apreciated

·
The Cool Joker
1,451 Posts
no you're not!!!

ok check me, i'm 225 and like 5'8" on a good day, 32 inch inseam. i can ride most 600 supersports.

how tall are you? if we know that we can go from there. that being said, most bikes have a GVWR of 400+ lbs

·
Registered
59 Posts
no you're not!!!

ok check me, i'm 225 and like 5'8" on a good day, 32 inch inseam. i can ride most 600 supersports.

how tall are you? if we know that we can go from there. that being said, most bikes have a GVWR of 400+ lbs
Ooohh, I can't believe you said that! lol see you're an azz!

but, ya that's funny though...I won't even touch this one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I very much doubt it would be a problem. I've put in excess on 350 pounds on my bike without any problem. You will want a bike with somewhat stiffer suspension. Hope you choose to start riding, and if so, welcome to the club!

·
Registered
493 Posts
yeh dude, you will be fine. dont let it hold you back! ive seen some BIG dudes riding out there. not to mention you will easily go over you weight limit if someone like me (180) two ups with another person. You will be fine! look for a bike that has some decent suspension and power. possibly a cruiser?

hope you get out there man!

Aaron

:71baldboy:

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
title says it all
im 320 and im looking to buy my first bike
any suggestions are greatly apreciated
Im 330lbs.....6ft4in. I have been riding and collecting bikes for the last 3 years. I honestly have not found a bike yet I couldnt ride.....some are more comfortable the others but I can get on them all.

In fact I actually like some of the little bikes....despite the fact I look like im riding a moped.

I own and ride:

1975 Honda CF400F
1984 Honda Goldwing
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000
1981 Kawasaki KZ440
2000 Kawasaki ZX6 Ninja
2001 Yamaha VStar 650
1978 Suzuki DR370
1997 Ural Deco Classic with side car

I would highly suggest the VStar 650 for a beginner bike......see if there is one setting on a dealer lot you can go check out.

They are great because they are a big bike.....but they have a small motor and basic features.....keeps the cost down. It looks big and expensive. For reference Ive had mine 2 years....so I bought it in 2007. Its a 2001 and had 6K miles on it when I bought it.....paid $2400.

Here is a good representation of a Vstar 650

·
TRIKEDRIVER
222 Posts
No problem, I'm ~290 and 6'5" and have not problems, I even put my son on the back and together we weigh 450 and the bike does fine (though the suspension is close to the limit with both of us)

·
Squirrel Assassin
213 Posts
320.. Dude, don't worry.. I think my MSF teacher was like 375 and he had mad skills.. he was showing off doing some pretty sick high speed cornering ON A 250CC REBEL after class!!!

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I'm 6'2'' and weigh in at about 410lbs.....and I love my Suzuki C50, I've had it a little over a year now and had no problems

·
Bald Headed Fat Man
868 Posts
You shouldn't have any problem at all - I'm 6' 1" and go about 275 and my wife is about 150 and my VT-1100 hauls us both around pretty good.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm over 350, built like a football lineman, and I ride a 700 right now. No sweat. Get up on two buddy!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would say, that the heavier and taller you are, the larger the bike you would need to be comfortable riding it all day. The rider's weight would affect the power to weight ratio, so if you want to accelerate fast, you would need a correspondingly bigger engine, i.e: something over 1000cc.

·
Registered
329 Posts
maybe over 1000cc if he was buying a cruiser... and hauling luggage... but for solo riding at his weight, the Vstar 650 would be perfectly adequate.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hell at 320 I rode 2 up with my late wife....she weight right at 180 or so.....so that was 500lbs.....which far exceeded the weight limit on the bike

That was on a 2002 VStar 650. We did a 12 hour trip up and down the river. The bike did it.....I would say it probably didnt LIKE it....but it did it. We rode everything, including some interstate....wouldnt go any faster then about 85mph with the both of us on it....me alone, about 90.

Wouldnt recommend it all the time, but occasionally....yeah, no problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
....wouldnt go any faster then about 85mph with the both of us on it....me alone, about 90.
Wouldnt recommend it all the time, but occasionally....yeah, no problem.
You're making my point, exactly. "Adequate" is not the same as comfortable or practical. Buying the wrong 1st bike is more than annoying...it sucks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You're making my point, exactly. "Adequate" is not the same as comfortable or practical. Buying the wrong 1st bike is more than annoying...it sucks.
Yes, but he had a combined 500lbs on a 650.
Everything is a compromise. A nimble 750 INO is a great middle ground. Capable of hauling my 350lbs around without even breathing hard, yet smaller and more nimble at low sped than a mega cruiser.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts