Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new to this forum, and with a bit of luck will also be a new biker very soon.
I've got a deal lined up for a 2000 Honda Magna, the exterior is in pristine condition. It's been sitting for 3 years and the gas tank seems badly rusted, I know it will obviously need a full fluids flush and maybe new oil filter and spark plugs? Thing is the guy is about as ignorant to engine repair as I am. He bought a new battery but can't get it to start.
It's being offered to me by a father of 3 for $2000, he seems financially secure and like a strait up guy. Says he hardly ever rode it and that it was running great the last time he was on it. But he is a stranger and I don't want to buy it unless I know I can get it going for less than $700.
What can I expect in repairs? Is the rust situation a no-go? And what must be done to get it started BEFORE I buy it? I've heard say that Hondas don't rot, they wait. I went to see it today so here's some pics.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
It's hard to say what it will take to get it running. A non-running motorcycle is kind of a gamble, especially if you will have to pay someone to fix it. That can get expensive quickly. It may be better to find a running motorcycle.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Honda V 4's owning a V65 Sabre myself. The 2 pieces of advice I can give you are 1-That's WAY too much money for a bike thay doesn't run and has a badly rusted tank. Without hearing it run and seeing it move under it's own power, there could a ton of stuff wrong. I'd be thinking more like $500 at most.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a ton for the info
What if I got someone knowledgable in bikes over there and was able to start and inspect it before I payed for it?

·
Registered
260 Posts
If it runs and drives and is inspected, that's a different story. Rusty tank usually equals lots of carb work which can be a problem. And how about the clutch and trans? Do not take the sellers word for the condition of those.

·
Happy Rider
2,183 Posts
Also there is a chance the tires are due for replacing. Generally speaking I am from the camp that suggests/recommends replacing the tires regardless of tread at 5 years, especially for new riders.

Barry does a good job of explaining how to find and understand tire date codes.

http://www.barrystiretech.com/dotcoding.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts