Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me that in Quebec there's a 3-month warranty on most used merchandise bought from a dealer, by law. I don't expect a great many of you are familiar w/Quebec laws, but what can anyone tell me about the principle in N. America?
I'm asking, because I've discovered a short in the headlight wiring. I believe this short was there when I bought the bike. I'd be a good less POed if it would be fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
What did the sticker and paperwork say when you bought the bike? I know most people don't read the paperwork, but they should for this exact reason. Somewhere in the paperwork the dealership has to put down a timeline of how long they take responsbility for repairs. This could be anywhere from an hour, 180 days to nothing at all. Anything bought in an As is state is just that, as is no warranty. Check your paperwork. I'm sure you signed something when you bought your bike from the dealership. If it wasn't to protect you from fraud it was more than likely to protect them.

G

·
There are “lemon laws” but they vary from state to state. And these certainly don’t qualify as a warrantee and will most likely not cover little things like shorted headlights. In the US it is buyer beware or you’re SOL. :(

G

·
Here is a really good read on the subject:
Lemon Law Guides
State Lemon Law Statutes:
http://www.carlemon.com/

It depends upon which State the car was purchased or leased in. Some states include used and leased cars in their Lemon Law statutes. Some states have separate laws for used vehicles. Some states provide protection only for new cars. In some states, even the Attorney General is unable to tell you if a Leased vehicle is covered due to the way the law is phrased and you will be referred to an Attorney for clarification of the law.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.