Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so I hurt my knee at work and I won’t be able to ride sport bikes for a while. Not wanting for Frankenstein to be forgotten in my car port, I hit craigslist. I ended up trading Frankie for 3 non working bikes. 87 ninja 750, 89 ninja 600 and 03 Suzuki 600. The Suzuki was in an electrical supposedly in the last 2 weeks, the other 2 haven’t been turned on over 3 years. The 89 ninja has all the fairings l, the other two only the front ones.

Since the 89 ninja is the most complete; I’m start work in it first. Cleaned the carbs, checked all the wiring and repaired any broken circuits. I got it to turn over but no spark. I still need to do a cheap oil and coolant change before I try again.

Thoughts, ideas! (Criticism expected) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Save them all!
4,293 Posts
Gotta love those 3 for 1 deals! I came home with 3 Goldwings a few years ago.

They look like quite the projects. I love the cardboard front headlight!

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I don’t know why they did it. I was so happy when I removed it and there was a perfectly good head light behind it.

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts

So that's what that is.:surprise: I couldn't figure out what I was seeing. Thanks.:thumbsup: Old eyes just don't see things well anymore I guess.:crying:

· On The Road Again!
4,965 Posts
THREE projects! Wow! A true glutton for punishment!!
Good luck with them.
Hope they all come back to life for you.

Reactions: ELM

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THREE projects! Wow! A true glutton for punishment!!
Good luck with them.
Hope they all come back to life for you.

lol and I’m still working on the Suzuki intruder with the leaking weeping hole. That makes 4.

The plan is to finish the Intruder first, it just needs the mechanical seal. Then to the ninja 600 over summer, this includes the mods to the car port to make a better shelter for the bikes. Followed by the ninja 750 with no time line, finally the Suzuki 600 with no time line either. Eventually they will get a time line, until then they get some tlc as I free up some $. But no real attention until the others are done.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I’m out for summer, so head straight to the 89 ninja. I noticed that the reason I don’t have a spark it because it’s not really turning over. It sound like the starter is just spinning. Notice this because I took a battery straight to the 87 ninja starter and notice the difference. The 87 sound great by the way. Has any one change the starter on one of this bikes? I’m going to hit the manual to night to remove it tomorrow, would love some advice from someone that has replaced one before.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I’m out for summer, so head straight to the 89 ninja. I noticed that the reason I don’t have a spark it because it’s not really turning over. It sound like the starter is just spinning. Notice this because I took a battery straight to the 87 ninja starter and notice the difference. The 87 sound great by the way. Has any one change the starter on one of this bikes? I’m going to hit the manual to night to remove it tomorrow, would love some advice from someone that has replaced one before.

· Ace Tuner
4,927 Posts
Starter motor spins, engine doesn't turn over?.....

The starter motor is okay but the starting one way clutch (sprag clutch) is bad.
It's made up of two basic parts. A part Kawa calls the one way clutch and a gear that mates to it.

If you look at a parts diagram you can see the parts that make up the sprag clutch.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Starter motor spins, engine doesn't turn over?.....

The starter motor is okay but the starting one way clutch (sprag clutch) is bad.

It's made up of two basic parts. A part Kawa calls the one way clutch and a gear that mates to it.

If you look at a parts diagram you can see the parts that make up the sprag clutch.

Thanks I’m look for the free pdf manual download. If I don’t find it by to night I’m going to have to buy it. Lol

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, today I took off the starter motor and bench tested it. It seems to work, so I was thinking maybe something was loose in the motor. As I went over the manual, all it says about the starter motor is remove the two bolts pull up and back to remove. To reinstall follow removal steps in reverse. I tried to go over the manual to see if there a chain/sprocket that can move out of place, no luck. I’m thinking I’m going to work in the 87 750 first.

· Ace Tuner
4,927 Posts
Ok, today I took off the starter motor and bench tested it. It seems to work, so I was thinking maybe something was loose in the motor. As I went over the manual, all it says about the starter motor is remove the two bolts pull up and back to remove. To reinstall follow removal steps in reverse. I tried to go over the manual to see if there a chain/sprocket that can move out of place, no luck. I’m thinking I’m going to work in the 87 750 first.

No chain. There is an idler gear.

Starter motor turns the idler gear, idler gear turns the one way clutch, one way clutch makes the engine turn over.
When the starter motor spins but the engine does not turn over... the one way clutch is bad, every time.
The one way clutch (also called a sprag clutch) is located under an engine side cover.

This link too Kawasaki parts shows the one way clutch parts, (Part Number 13193-1002, clutch .. and .. P. N. 16085-1030, clutch gear ), along with the starter motor.
https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/33516/1989/ZX600-C2

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No chain. There is an idler gear.

Starter motor turns the idler gear, idler gear turns the one way clutch, one way clutch makes the engine turn over.

When the starter motor spins but the engine does not turn over... the one way clutch is bad, every time.

The one way clutch (also called a sprag clutch) is located under an engine side cover.

This link too Kawasaki parts shows the one way clutch parts, (Part Number 13193-1002, clutch .. and .. P. N. 16085-1030, clutch gear ), along with the starter motor.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/33516/1989/ZX600-C2

Well I knew that eventually I was going to have to open up a motorcycle engine, I guess the time has come. I guess I have to start by cleaning up my work space really good and organizing everything because I was starting to confuse parts. I wasn’t able to find any video or walkthrough for an engine breakdown of my bike, so I guess I’ll start taking pics and maybe some video.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took a step back today and start to think of a new strategy to tackle the 3 for 1 bikes. At first I thought that the ninja 600 would be the best choice to work on first. Since it has every thing cosmetically then the ninja 750 because it was in better shape than the gsx600. Turns out the ninja 600 need to be opened up, the ninja 750 and gsx need about the same things. The ninja750 needs new and the gsx need new controls and wiring and carbs. So I’m going to buy the wiring for the gsx and take all the controls, hoses and reservoirs from the ninja 600.

Talking about carbs! I thought the gsx FI but mine is not. I check the vin and result say it’s a 04 gsx 600 F. When looking for the parts on eBay gsx 600r give you FI and gsx 600 F give you carbs. Can I use the FI from the 600r, I need to buy the all the electrical so I could just buy all the stuff for R and but it on my F?

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took the 87 ninja apart. Good thing too. The wiring has some breaks in the parts that weren’t easily visible. Today I’m going to repair the wiring and maybe start sanding the frame. I also need to come up with a jig to hold the motor. Any ideas examples?

· Save them all!
4,293 Posts
I keep a bunch of scrap blocks of various lumber dimensions in my shop - usually I set my engines up on my bench and just start shoving things underneath until I'm sure it won't tip over.

Looks like fun!

Reactions: ELM
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.