Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, finally finished enough responses to post my own thread. I'm currently signed up to take a beginners riding course, so I don't have a lot of riding experience; but in my excited anticipation I've been shopping around online looking at bikes, the two bikes I really want are the honda CBR600rr or the CB1000r, but I've read enough to know that's a bad idea for a first bike and I'm not trying to start that debate again, my first bike is going to be a used CBR250r. But my question is how will I know when I'm ready to move up? Is there a recommended number of years? miles? or some list of abilities to master?

I'm not worried about out growing the CBR250r, cuz it seems to have a high resale value, so when I'm ready I can either just sell it, or keep it as a commuter bike since it gets like 70 mpg.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Since everyone learns at different rates, it's impossible to give a solid amount of time or miles.

The best answer would be when you are very comfortable with the controls and riding in general, and your current motorcycle is not sufficient for what you need out of it.

A second motorcycle often turns out to be something completely different than a rider envisions when they are still just learning. By getting experience, the rider will find out what suits them best individually and what features they really need for the kind of riding they do most.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
It's good that you recognize that you would do better with the smaller bike to start. And I have heard plenty of good things about the CBR250.

As Dods said, each person learns at differing rates. I myself am ready to change to a more powerful bike, if I were to desire to do so. In actuality, I feel I want to stay with what I have, though I do want to continue to build it up to where I want it lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts