Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
I'm up to needing 6 batteries right now, 2 for a truck, 2 for sea-doo's, 1 lawn tractor battery and a motorcycle battery. That should be a grand easy right there before I buy fluids and filters for all those machines. Can you imagine how much that would cost to take that stuff to a dealer to service, I can't. Those sea-doo's, you have to take the entire top of the plastic boat off just to get to anything, that's good for an hour right there, just to open and close the hood.
I'd go broke real fast. ymmv.
Changing a battery is different than messing with brakes, a clutch, etc. Most guys can do basic things like batteries, oil changes, lube the chain, etc. I believe Blitz can do those things to his new bike.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
I tell them don't make motorcycles your passion if you don't plan on wrenching them yourself.
To each their own. I do what I feel comfortable with and send them to the shop for everything else. The front brakes on my T-Bird need new pads. I just made an appointment at the dealer. They charge .3 of an hour per rotor, so it will cost me $74 plus parts. Well worth the money for me.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
I take brakes apart just to clean them.
I'm guessing you have more time on your hands than some of us. I currently have 3 drywall projects going, a she-shed that we're building, a bazillion other projects around the house, 3 kids, and a campfire AA group that we run 2 nights a week, as well as regular meetings most evenings and a position at another AA hall. With 12 bikes, doing everything myself just isn't in the cards.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Yep, I ride motorcycles, I work on motorcycles and once in a while I go fishing. Rough job but I figure somebody has to do it.

I have 2 motorcycle dealers coming to ride here soon I hope. This weekend would be nice, even nicer if one of them has my new motorcycle with him.
He travels with parts too :cool: almost anything you could ever break.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's so quiet here today I can hear the gypsy moth caterpillars eating the trees.
I'm jealous. Last weekend we had a big system migration at work and I had to work 18 hours Sunday and only 13 hours each day since. A smaller version of the migration happens on Saturday in the Germany plant so I may need to help with issues there. If not, I might actually ride my motorcycle.

On the rates, My mechanic I keep bragging on is up to $75 an hour now (JPM Motorsports in Hopkinsville, KY). I guess I should be happy with that from the other comparisons.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
I'm jealous. Last weekend we had a big system migration at work and I had to work 18 hours Sunday and only 13 hours each day since. A smaller version of the migration happens on Saturday in the Germany plant so I may need to help with issues there. If not, I might actually ride my motorcycle.

On the rates, My mechanic I keep bragging on is up to $75 an hour now (JPM Motorsports in Hopkinsville, KY). I guess I should be happy with that from the other comparisons.
$75 may be more to you in Kentucky than $125 is to me in Seattle. The average house in Seattle is like $800k now. Even out here in the sticks half a million buys a shack.

·
Registered
114 Posts
$75 may be more to you in Kentucky than $125 is to me in Seattle. The average house in Seattle is like $800k now. Even out here in the sticks half a million buys a shack.
Good point. We almost relocated to Colorado right before Covid and the housing prices were a huge shock. And Colorado has a way to go before it catches up with California and Seattle. I'm very thankful to still be here.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I couldn't relate more... My first ever mod to my bike was a fender eliminator. I didn't even own sockets LOL. I literally was out here with an adjustable wrench, pliers and screwdrivers doing my best. I got it done but it was so much more difficult. Ended up buying a few tools after that experience.
Those are the experiences that not only make you a more knowledgeable "mechanic", but give you amusing stories to tell later on! Well worth the frustration, imho. Of course, I say that now but only because I don't have any projects that are causing me fits at the moment! :ROFLMAO:

I've only been riding a little over 4 years. Knew literally nothing about bikes when I started (although I had plenty of auto experience). Was able to "level up" from nervously removing my fairings to doing my own valve adjustments (that might be one of those "projects" I mentioned earlier!).

Might be worth joining a bike specific forum if you DO decide to expand your mechanical repertoire and, who knows, you might find someone relatively close to you who would be willing to help out if you need it.

Did you decide on a replacement yet?

Reactions: Blitz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Did you decide on a replacement yet?
Yeah I still feel a little anxious when removing my fairings lol, but I can do it without watching a video now at least. Still not sure about a replacement, I tried looking up Demo days but it doesn't look like any will be within 500 miles of me this year... I missed my 1 opportunity for the Yamaha day but it was literally the day after I low-sided. I am still interested in learning more about the R7, MT-07, ZX-6R, RS660, SV650, Triumph Street Triple R, and either the Honda 600 or 650. I need to plan some time to travel around and go see and sit on these bikes, dealers aren't very close so it'll probably be a multi-day thing for me.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
How long have you had the 400?

I started on the 300 version. Kept it a year and jumped to a 600, thinking "I NEED more power!!!". I did not need more power! I needed to spend more time working on my fundamentals and should have spent at least another 6-12 months working on those before considering moving up. It was quite a learning curve!

That being said, a 650/660 seems like a nice middle ground with more than enough power to keep you well ahead of 94.3% of cars on the road. The CB650R seems to get consistently good reviews. As for the R7? It's just an MT-07 with race fairings and, unless you plan on tracking it, I'd say the MT is going to be the better "all arounder"...

Good luck!

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
How long have you had the 400?

I started on the 300 version. Kept it a year and jumped to a 600, thinking "I NEED more power!!!". I did not need more power! I needed to spend more time working on my fundamentals and should have spent at least another 6-12 months working on those before considering moving up. It was quite a learning curve!

That being said, a 650/660 seems like a nice middle ground with more than enough power to keep you well ahead of 94.3% of cars on the road. The CB650R seems to get consistently good reviews. As for the R7? It's just an MT-07 with race fairings and, unless you plan on tracking it, I'd say the MT is going to be the better "all arounder"...

Good luck!
Thanks! Yeah I’ve only been riding for 1 year, I know there is always room for improvement. I’m not going to be buying it immediately, I was planning on at least a few months out. I just wanna get started figuring out what I want, what each bike has that’s special or what it does best ya know? I like a lot of naked bikes as well but I’ve kinda been swayed away from them by some people I ride with. They tell me they aren’t good for fast riding / freeway speeds. And I’m trying to be honest with myself, I know that I’m gonna be going a bit faster than I should. I would be doing probably 25% city, 40% highway/freeway, 35% backroads type of riding.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Re: nakeds and fast riding - Aftermarket wind/fly screens are your friend! A couple of big pluses for the nakeds? More comfortable riding position, more "usable" street power, and possibly lower insurance.

Check this vid as it seems to do a good job of presenting the topic objectively -

While I love my F4i, I wish I had watched that first...

Reactions: Ride365 and Blitz
41 - 57 of 57 Posts