Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i just completed my MSF course. im a little dude. 5'4" 150lbs. i was originally planning to get a honda shadow 600, but the dude flaked out on me. im currently looking at a kawasaki vulcan 800 or a honda rebel 250. i know, huge difference there. reason theres such a big gap is because i have to make a trade as i dont have enough cash on hand currently to just outright buy a bike, so my choices are limited. my question is..hows the weight difference between bikes? after riding on the 250s at the MSF course all day, my knees were hurting. i think part of it is that the bike i was on was too tall for me. is there a huge difference trying to hold up the different size bikes at stop lights and such? i know bikes will handle differently and be more or less forgiving of mistakes the larger or smaller you get. i guess im just nervous about how much strain the weight will put on my legs.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
The Vulcan weighs 150 pounds more than the Rebel, and is an inch or two taller. For a new rider, especially a shorter rider, a Rebel 250 is an ideal choice. I would go that route if I were you, assuming it is in good running condition.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I bought a Buell Blast before the MSF and a Honda Rebel after. I loved that little bike to death and just had to have one. Yet between my two, I actually like the Buell more.

The Rebel is a blast (haha) around town, it's buttery smooth (compared to the thumper), great fuel economy (78mpg for me), and it's very comfortable to ride. However, the bike does begin running out of steam past 60mph, so if you want something that'll be comfortable bombing down backroads or highways for a long time, get the bigger displacement bike.

Plus, depending on how fast you learn, you may grow out of the Rebel really fast. I really only use mine for short hops between towns and as a work commuter.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,304 Posts
Look into a Honda Shadow 750. They are readily and cheaply available on the new and used market.:smile_big:

Stay away from the Rebel 250's as you will outgrow their performance in a weeks time.:surprise:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
686 Posts
The best way to know is to go sit on it cause works for me may not for you and vice versa. I would say if you're asking about the weight, you're probably better off with a smaller bike. There are other options outside the Rebel for lower seat height bikes with some more oomph like the Suzuki S40 or Yamaha Virago 535. What bike did you use in class?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.