Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just under 200 miles on my Z6 50. This is my first bike other than a Honda 250 L. So I am very new to street bikes.

Overall love the bike. The braking is taking some getting used to.

couple things that I’ve noticed that I wonder if they’re normal.

The first is when the bikes in neutral I’m just pushing it in and out of the garage I’m hearing some rubbing in the rear brake. I don’t get this noise really when I’m riding.

The second issue is when riding slow around 10 miles an hour or less and coming off the rear brake sometimes you will hear what I can only describe it as a slight barking sound also from the rear brake.

I have had the dealer look at it and they say everything is in good shape and working properly.

Also when doing standard breaking on the road and normal riding neither of these conditions are apparent.

i’m trying to get used to the bike it’s also my first bike with ABS and I still feel like the rear brake is fighting me if I try to practice panic breaking. I feel like I could stop faster if the rear wheel would lock. But I’m practicing to try to get used to it. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
On a bike like the Z650 the rear brake is not that useful. You should be doing pretty much all the stopping with the front brake. If you are using the front brake and slowing the bike to its full potential then the rear tire won't even be on the ground, rendering it useless. And the rear brake alone cannot give the bike enough traction to slow down quickly because again, all the weight shifts off the rear and onto that front tire.

Edit: could also be that you are using the front brakes enough that it is, in fact, taking a bunch of weight off the rear tire causing any use of the rear brake to activate ABS. I would just reduce the use of the rear brake.

·
Registered
05 R46, & Fully worked 03 CBR954RR
48 Posts
I have just under 200 miles on my Z6 50. This is my first bike other than a Honda 250 L. So I am very new to street bikes.

Overall love the bike. The braking is taking some getting used to.

couple things that I’ve noticed that I wonder if they’re normal.

The first is when the bikes in neutral I’m just pushing it in and out of the garage I’m hearing some rubbing in the rear brake. I don’t get this noise really when I’m riding.

The second issue is when riding slow around 10 miles an hour or less and coming off the rear brake sometimes you will hear what I can only describe it as a slight barking sound also from the rear brake.

I have had the dealer look at it and they say everything is in good shape and working properly.

Also when doing standard breaking on the road and normal riding neither of these conditions are apparent.

i’m trying to get used to the bike it’s also my first bike with ABS and I still feel like the rear brake is fighting me if I try to practice panic breaking. I feel like I could stop faster if the rear wheel would lock. But I’m practicing to try to get used to it. Any tips?
I wouldn't worry about it, like most new mechanical parts, it's just running in. Your concerned about this sound & it's a good thing to ask questions, but you can be at ease with this one.

·
Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
352 Posts
Practice using both brakes HARD, then gradually letting up rear as it reaches its limit. While
ABS takes care of a lot of the nuances to brake-balance and modulation for you, it only does that at limit. Should practice getting to that limit smoothly and in control.

As for rear-brake noise, very well could be mechanical issue with brake. Could be worn-out pads, or improperly installed pads. I've seen many with anti-squeal shims installed improperly. Many bikes have shims between pads to pistons AND between pads to caliper body. A lot of times when installing pads, it's easy to bump these shims out of place.

Many rear calipers are single-piston/one-sided and depena upon sliding on pins to self-centre over rotor. Commonly overlooked maintenance to grease these pins and ensure rubber seals are in place.

Many, many mechanics rush and don't install properly. That's why I do all my own work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Practice using both brakes HARD, then gradually letting up rear as it reaches its limit. While
ABS takes care of a lot of the nuances to brake-balance and modulation for you, it only does that at limit. Should practice getting to that limit smoothly and in control.

As for rear-brake noise, very well could be mechanical issue with brake. Could be worn-out pads, or improperly installed pads. I've seen many with anti-squeal shims installed improperly. Many bikes have shims between pads to pistons AND between pads to caliper body. A lot of times when installing pads, it's easy to bump these shims out of place.

Many rear calipers are single-piston/one-sided and depena upon sliding on pins to self-centre over rotor. Commonly overlooked maintenance to grease these pins and ensure rubber seals are in place.

Many, many mechanics rush and don't install properly. That's why I do all my own work.
I have considered taking the rear caliper off for my own inspection. The dealer looked at it and said its fine. Its a new bike. 1st owner now at 200 miles.

Happens most when decelerating. Can reproduce most by decelerating with and turning covering the brake with light pressure and turning. I am still in the habit of using 60% rear with 40% front and im trying to get out of the habit. Finding its a tough one to break.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have considered taking the rear caliper off for my own inspection. The dealer looked at it and said its fine. Its a new bike. 1st owner now at 200 miles.

Happens most when decelerating. Can reproduce most by decelerating with and turning covering the brake with light pressure and turning. I am still in the habit of using 60% rear with 40% front and im trying to get out of the habit. Finding its a tough one to break.
The groan is likely the ABS pump activating to keep the rear wheel from locking up. Thats the sort of sound cars make when you activate ABS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The good news is the noise seems to be resolved.

I wanna make absolutely circuit that I did this correctly please take a look at the video and see if there’s anything that looks like I might’ve done wrong. My two concerns are that after I replaced the brakes my stopping power in the rear seemed not very good but it did get better and yes I did pump the brakes many times before taking it out on a ride however this did seem to improve as the ride went on.

It seems like I have to put a lot of pressure to get the ABS to kick it on the rear wheel.

I did bleed the brakes.

when I got home the rear brakes were way hotter than the front but then again I was mainly using them for breaking this is probably normal something I will have to continue to watch.

Also these are brand new pads so they may be wearing and causing more heat it almost smelled like brake fluid a little bit but I went through everything and was not losing any so I’m not sure what that was.

Again I would appreciate if you could review the video and see if there’s anything I did wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts