Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've come across a problem where my motorcycle fails to turn on. It's been sitting for a little over a year unmaintained (I know, my mistake). I've replaced the battery, ignition coil, spark plug, CDI, drained the fuel tank of any fuel, cleaned out the carb, and she still won't start. The kickstand is up and Killswitch is off along with the petcock on. She cranks but doesn't start. I'm sure she's not getting a spark as I can't see one when I put the plug to the engine and nothing happens. It's an automatic if that helps and only has about 200 miles. The bike is a 2019 Vitacci Falcon 250cc automatic.

If anyone has an idea or any tips to fix or test other components please let me know as it's appreciated and will be put to good use. Thank you.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,715 Posts
ok, thats actually way too high, but better too high than too low. this means the auto clutch is not slowing the cranking and preventing it from starting.

Pull the spark plug and crank it over, let me know if any gas come blowing out. (do not look into it as u crank)

Also when you do this tell me the rpm it cranks at with the plug out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, thats actually way too high, but better too high than too low. this means the auto clutch is not slowing the cranking and preventing it from starting.

Pull the spark plug and crank it over, let me know if any gas come blowing out. (do not look into it as u crank)

Will do right now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I've just removed the plug and it indeed has fuel coming out of where it goes.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,715 Posts
the rpm at which you say it is cranking at tells me it has almost 0 compression. I would start by checking this compression, and confirming the cam is in time with the crank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well your bike is a 2 stroke with the intake based in the case, there is no way to get fuel in large amounts in the cylinder, it would all collect in the case. what you see is most likely excess oil mixed with carbon blowing out.

the rpm at which you say it is cranking at tells me it has almost 0 compression. I would start by checking this compression, and confirming the cam is in time with the crank.
Thank you. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to check the timing. However, this is a 4 stroke engine

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,452 Posts
Your spark plugs or plug may just be fouled. Try some new spark plugs or plug.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,715 Posts
If the cranking rpm when the plug is in it, is the same as the cranking rpm as when the plug is removed. Then you have some valves out of adjustment. Confirm if this is indeed the case. let me know.

Those two adjusters you see in your picture are indeed the rocker arm adjusters. first thing to do is to loosen the bolt and "center" each one, then snug the bolts back up. This is a base point that should allow starting.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVER TIGHTEN THEM, AS THEY ARE PRONE TO STRIPPING THREADS OR SNAPPING BOLT HEADS OFF!!!

Once the engine is started, loosen the intake side first and adjust as the chatter noiseheard goes quiet. tighten then do the same for the exhaust side. (do not adjust till engine is warm) BE CAREFUL AS THESE WILL BE HOT AND CAN BURN YOU, use some gloves or a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the adjusters.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the cranking rpm when the plug is in it, is the same as the cranking rpm as when the plug is removed. Then you have some valves out of adjustment. Confirm if this is indeed the case. let me know.

Those two adjusters you see in your picture are indeed the rocker arm adjusters. first thing to do is to loosen the bolt and "center" each one, then snug the bolts back up. This is a base point that should allow starting.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVER TIGHTEN THEM, AS THEY ARE PRONE TO STRIPPING THREADS OR SNAPPING BOLT HEADS OFF!!!

Once the engine is started, loosen the intake side first and adjust as the chatter noiseheard goes quiet. tighten then do the same for the exhaust side. (do not adjust till engine is warm) BE CAREFUL AS THESE WILL BE HOT AND CAN BURN YOU, use some gloves or a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the adjusters.
Yes, the rpms remain the same if the plug were in or out. I've adjusted the vales but it continues to behave the same.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,715 Posts
Yes, the rpms remain the same if the plug were in or out. I've adjusted the vales but it continues to behave the same.

Ok, this same rpm speed with and without the plug in says you have no compression at all. this is usually a valve not closing on these, but also can be a bent valve, or even bad piston rings.

did you center both of the valve adjusters like I mentioned?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, this same rpm speed with and without the plug in says you have no compression at all. this is usually a valve not closing on these, but also can be a bent valve, or even bad piston rings.

did you center both of the valve adjusters like I mentioned?
Yes. Both valves are currently centered. I noticed that the position the left adjuster was initially in caused fuel or some other liquid to shoot out of where the spark plug is and once I centered it it didn't do it any longer.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.