Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just got my CBR 3 days ago and have been riding it around the neighborhood to get a feel for it since I'm new with bikes. I was riding around yesterday and after shifting into 3rd the bike just kind of stopped working. It acts as if it's got a governor chip on it or something. No power, no acceleration. I have to shift down to limp it back home. This is a brand new bike with 0 miles on it. I've got the dealership picking it up Monday, but if there's anything you guys think I might be able to look at over the weekend I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
It is possible you do not have enough revs happening when you are in third. Low revs can be okay in the lower gears, but not acceptable in the higher gears. Small bikes in particular need revs to operate. These are not long stroke thumper engines. But you may not know what I mean by that.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
When the bike starts acting up are you just letting it die or are you pulling the clutch in trying to keep it running by giving the throttle a few blips simultaneously? I'm trying to determine if it's fuel starved or spark starved. No amount of throttle twisting results in no change what-so-ever or what. BTW, have you taken a basic rider course. This question is an attempt to see just what kind of new rider you are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the bike starts acting up are you just letting it die or are you pulling the clutch in trying to keep it running by giving the throttle a few blips simultaneously? I'm trying to determine if it's fuel starved or spark starved. No amount of throttle twisting results in no change what-so-ever or what. BTW, have you taken a basic rider course. This question is an attempt to see just what kind of new rider you are.
I haven't tried the clutch thing, I may go try it now. I have not taken a basic rider course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is possible you do not have enough revs happening when you are in third. Low revs can be okay in the lower gears, but not acceptable in the higher gears. Small bikes in particular need revs to operate. These are not long stroke thumper engines. But you may not know what I mean by that.

UK

I thought the same thing, but everything is fine until I hit about 5k rpms, that's when it just goes. The bike is still running but it won't give me anymore throttle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To answer your question, I'm giving it throttle to no avail

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
So you can ride around in first and second gear all day if you wanted and everything is fine, but the minute you shift to third it dies, correct? Or does it die after a certain amount of time that just happened to be when you shifted to third? How long does it have to sit before it will start again or does it fire right back up? The reason for the questions is I'm thinking a stuck float and you are running out of fuel from the bowl and then it slowly fills back up until you run out again. That's the best I have without seeing and hearing what is happening. Maybe someone else will have another idea.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
What kind of speed is 5k in 3rd gear? Brand new bike does it have some kind of breaking speed restriction? Just guessing here.

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
Oh heck, I jump right over the talk about 5k. Completely disregard my previous post. I got to stop trying to use my tiny phone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts