Motorcycle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Did you put 1 oil in all 3 holes? I'm just curious. I used Red Line in mine and a different grade of oil in each hole. But I've read that some use one in all. I did use Amsoil in my VTX but it only used one oil. This whole oil thing gets controversial but I don't want to go there. I'm simply curious about what went into each hole. Amsoil I get but they do make different grades for different applications. So did the kit contain just one grade or others is another way to ask the question.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,925 Posts
I have been using Amsoil for over 10 Years on HD's with Great Results, is what I use on my 05 Dyna ... However I use Amsoil Severe Gear 75W140 for the Transmission .. 20W50 has worked fine both for the Engine and Primary Both .. Technically can use 20W50 for all 3 Holes but I prefer a specific Gear Oil for the Tranny which 75W140 is ..

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
Harley switched to ONE oil for all 3 holes some time ago: From a HD site;

"Exclusively designed for Harley-Davidson, SYN3 has the optimum blend of additives, ... oil that can be used in all three cavities of a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle, ... '84-later Big Twin models wet-type diaphragm spring clutch (every 10,000 ... for use in Harley-Davidson® engine, chaincase and transmission applications," etc-etc:wink2:

In the 3 holes of my past Electra Glide, I used Shell Rotella T, non synthetic in the engine, HD's primary oil in the Clutch primary and Valvoline 75-140 in the gearbox and all was well:grin:

As far as the new HD standard for ONE oil, why not, every JAP bike I've ever owned shares a common sump for Engine, clutch and gears:smile_big:

As a Motorcycle engine builder, more in the past than now, I BELIEVE that the 3 holes should have separate oils so as to isolate pieces of fiber/ steel clutch wear to it's own area so as not to contaminate engine oil. Same with the gearbox.:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.