Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode a bike for about 15 years; I quit riding about 35 years ago. I'm 70 years old and in good health (more in my introduction post).

I'm considering starting riding again, and am considering buying an NC750X. I know this bike is not especially exciting, but I think it might be a good fit for me. I think it has enough power to please me (at least for now); I like the storage compartment this bike provides; I like Hondas. I'm looking for knowledgeable comments on this bike, favorable and unfavorable - especially unfavorable.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
I did basically the same thing, I started in the sixties and then quit in the 80's. Retired 5 years ago at 67 and started riding again. I did take the basic rider's course and found out I still had a lot of the muscle memory left. Took about 3 months or so and I was riding without having to think about every step.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'll be OK in terms of riding, after my skills have had the rust knocked off; I survived Austin, Texas traffic for several years late 60's and 70's. Even in that time period, Austin was traffic was not nice.

I think the main thing old people riding bikes have going for them is their experience of how quickly things can go wrong in any activity and how sudden injury and death can be.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I think you'll be fine with that bike, it is very efficient and not overpowering. Someone on here has the 700 version that is maybe a 2015 or 2016. Calculon maybe? He would be a good person to ask.

A CB500 standard would be another good bike to get back on the horse as well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I rode a lot during the 70's and about half of the 80's, then stopped.
Now I'm retired, and 67, and seriously considering the NC750X-DCT as my re-entry vehicle.

Oh, did somebody already post that? I guess Great Minds Think Alike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my 750x for about 3 months now, I ride every time I get the chance, pros: its quite, nice amount of torque when taking off and threw the 6 gears, great gas mileage ( around 70-80mpg) no lie, the standard windscreen keeps the wind off my helmet and the center of gravity is spot on, the bike maneuvers gracefully. now the cons: I am a short fella and seem to be on my toes when stopped, no problem though the bike is light and easy to hold up, top end speed, well lets just say your not going to win any races. over all, I am very glad I got it, had a chance to get a Goldwing but opted out, most of my riding is small town and country riding, to work and home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts