Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows if the '18 Honda CB650F rims are powder coated or painted. I've called Honda Motorsports, checked my owners manual, even have taken it to a couple of paint shops in my area. Still no definitive answers. Has anyone tried to powder coat their Honda motorcycle rims. Any help on this would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
1,254 Posts
Powder coating isn't for regular riders ~ if it gets a tiny chip moisture will creep in underneath the hard coating and cause serious rusting .

BT and DT, it's nice for show vehicles .

·
Ace Tuner
4,801 Posts
Very doubtful Honda spent the money on powder coating instead of just paint. They use good enough paint but money is King you know.
Powder coating lasts better, is much stronger and cleans easier than any paint I'm aware of. I've sent out several wheels to be powder coated. The surface is so slick that tire irons can easily slip while installing the tire.
If you intend to have your wheels powder coated be POSITIVE the people doing the job UNDERSTAND what parts CAN NOT be coated. (Bore for bearings, close tolerances and such). The coating is too thick for those places.

S F

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very doubtful Honda spent the money on powder coating instead of just paint. They use good enough paint but money is King you know.
Powder coating lasts better, is much stronger and cleans easier than any paint I'm aware of. I've sent out several wheels to be powder coated. The surface is so slick that tire irons can easily slip while installing the tire.
If you intend to have your wheels powder coated be POSITIVE the people doing the job UNDERSTAND what parts CAN NOT be coated. (Bore for bearings, close tolerances and such). The coating is too thick for those places.

S F
That's sound advice, will definitely check will paint shop. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts