Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, My 2018 GSXR 750 is making a knocking noise when taking off from a stand still when you start to release the clutch. The second it engages *Clunk* then you feel power to the rear wheel. Here is a list of situations where it will NOT do it.
- If you roll the bike backwards just a little bit in first gear with the clutch pulled in.
- If you come to a stop in neutral put it in first gear and take off.
- At certain oil temps usually around 160-170 its not as noticeable.
- On the rear spool stand.
Here at situations that WILL do it.
- If you roll to a stop in first with clutch pulled in then take off.
- SOMETIMES if you are rolling slow in first even pulling in the clutch will make the noise.
- If you quickly let out the clutch as you see in this video Search "Clutchin Gixxerz" on Youtube (Cant Post Links)
youtubeDOTcom/watch?v=vs6GRp31eOM
I have checked the chain and sprockets adjusted them both ways and it still makes the clunk.
I would like to note I do A LOT of clutch up wheelies and ride pretty damn hard. Keep in mind the bike is brand new with only 4k miles on it. I started to notice the problem at around 3k but I believe it was doing it before even 2k. I have done 4 oil changed on it so far 1st at 600 second at 1000 3d at 2400 4th at 3400. I need some help because dealer calls it "Normal" and refuses to dig deeper without cost. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Recklass, so i just purchased a 2018 gsxr750 as well and it is doing the exact same thing as yours, also i feel a click in the lever when downshifting, did you find out the cause or what happen? Thx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Recklass, so i just purchased a 2018 gsxr750 as well and it is doing the exact same thing as yours, also i feel a click in the lever when downshifting, did you find out the cause or what happen? Thx
Its also has 1100 miles on it and got the first service at 600 miles

·
Registered
664 Posts
did you find out the cause or what happen? Thx
Dude hasn't posted for 18 months, so I doubt he's around. I don't have a GSX-R but my CBR does give a nice solid CLUNK when I shift into 1st from neutral while stopped. I was terrified I was ruining the transmission but found out that it is, indeed, considered normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Prob not, and yes eveybike seems to clunk when shifting into first, however my problem is when i let the clutch out quickly as shown in the video above

·
American Legion Rider
19,481 Posts
from a different site said:
It's SO hard to tell without hearing it. But based on mileage and what you describe it could be you cam chain. If the noise actually goes away with the clutch "pulled in" it sounds normal. How long have you had this bike? The clutch basket COULD be loose to. Were the clutch plates recently changed? These are all the things I can think of without hearing it.
Don't these bikes have a warranty? Seems they do make this noise and it is considered normal but if it was my bike, I'd pay them to do an hours investigation just so I have it documented that I thought there was a problem. It doesn't seem right to me but then I don't see a need to pop the clutch like is being demonstrated except for drag racing and now with wheelies. Both then are hard enough on the clutch to cause the need for additional repairs. I don't believe there is a bike made that is designed strictly to do wheelies is there? Doing so is probably going to cause the need for routine repairs but maybe not, I really don't know. But here's the video referred to for those that have not seen it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Appreciate the reply, yes it only has 1100 miles on it and ive had it for 3 weeks, i did get the 600 mile first service as well, and i do not do any wheelies or anything like that i treat the clutch like a queen lol, the reason this noise happened during normal operation is because i was at a stop light on a hill and accidentally popped the clutch just a tad hard and heard this click in the clutch, i didnt stall the bike either, so i pulled into a parking lot and did some investigation and was able to reproduce this “click” anytime i want, little concerning so i wanted to see what you guys thought and well looks like she will be going to the dealership because it is under warranty

·
American Legion Rider
19,481 Posts
i was at a stop light on a hill and accidentally popped the clutch just a tad hard and heard this click in the clutch
This might help our gurus. It really shouldn't break anything but it is possible. It almost sounds like chain slap to me but I don't know what behind the covers like others do. There's cam chain tensioner thing on Harley's so I'm wondering if there is something like that on yours and if so, what if anything might go wrong with a clutch dump. That's basically what you did it sounds like. So what do you think guys???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey bpe so i can confirm that its not in the lever it is definitely something internal, it does sound like the lever but i can assure its not but thanx for the suggestion, and i did also lubed the cable with the motion pro cable luber

·
Ace Tuner
2,031 Posts
Hey bpe so i can confirm that its not in the lever it is definitely something internal, it does sound like the lever but i can assure its not but thanx for the suggestion, and i did also lubed the cable with the motion pro cable luber
If the noise is coming from inside the engine... Something ain't right and the dealership needs to look into it.

Have you watched the drive chain to be sure it is not just chain slap making the noise?
I could see that happening if the chain is too loose.

S F

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes i have and i can confirm it is not the chain either, ive tightened it twice to the correct spec by the manual, talked to the dealer and he said it has a year warranty so just ride it and if it gets worse bring it in, its just confusing to me that in the video posted above is from a completely different person in youtube that i dont know and my bike is doing THE EXACT same thing as him

·
Ace Tuner
2,031 Posts
Yes i have and i can confirm it is not the chain either, ive tightened it twice to the correct spec by the manual, talked to the dealer and he said it has a year warranty so just ride it and if it gets worse bring it in, its just confusing to me that in the video posted above is from a completely different person in youtube that i dont know and my bike is doing THE EXACT same thing as him
If it gets worse?
I wonder if it is a design flaw or some kind of production problem that only affected some bikes.
If it is one of the two your dealer should be able (and willing) to take the bike in and figure it out. Suzuki dealerships have factory tech support that may, or may not, be of some help if needed.
Good luck brother, you've just entered the Warranty Zone...

S F

·
Registered
664 Posts
in the video posted above is from a completely different person in youtube that i dont know and my bike is doing THE EXACT same thing as him
I watched that thing about 5 times in a row and looks like he is pulling the handle in a weird way and that the clacking is coming from the handle hitting the handlebar.

Are you able to get someone to pull the handle to allow you to listen to different areas? Can you feel a knock or clunk by the clutch basket? Maybe ask and thread search on a dedicated Gixxer forum?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thx Semi, was thinkin the same thing, and thankyou doc for the response, however i know it might seem like its the lever i 100% know for a fact that its not, for an example i can only get this “click” if i roll the bike forward before dumping the clutch, but if i hold the front brake and do the same thing to where the bike doesnt roll forward at all, then it will not click and its smooth as butter, therefore it has to be internal, hopefully you guys understand what i mean, thx

·
Registered
664 Posts
i can only get this “click” if i roll the bike forward before dumping the clutch, but if i hold the front brake and do the same thing to where the bike doesnt roll forward at all, then it will not click and its smooth as butter, therefore it has to be internal, hopefully you guys understand what i mean, thx
Yeah, sorry I can't be of more help but my knowledge of clutch internals is minimal at best. I do hope you are able to get it figured out because it definitely doesn't sound normal!

·
Ace Tuner
2,031 Posts
Please let us know what you learn about that clutch. I'm very curious about this one.

S F

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
talked to the dealer and he said it has a year warranty so just ride it and if it gets worse bring it in,
I can't help but wonder what this dealer expects you to do if it doesn't get worse by the time the warranty is ready to expire.

@hogcowboy The video just up and disappeared, what's up with that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts