Motorcycle Forum banner

2016 Sportster Forty-Eight or 2015 Dyna Fat Bob

• 2016 Sportster Forty-Eight

• 2015 Dyna Fat Bob

2016 Sportster Forty-Eight or 2015 Dyna Fat Bob

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Retired Guy 
#1 ·
So I Haven't test ride either yet, I will this week but I could use any advice I can get. Its important I get a bike my wife and I can take long trips on. The Forty-Eight has a 4.2 gallon gas tank. The Fat Bob is good for two-up though, is the difference regarding riding two-up between the two going to matter enough? While I love the look of the Forty-Eight, the Fat Bob may be more comfortable and I still love the look. The Forty-Eight looks better in my opinion.

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally I consider the 48 a solo rider and if you are just starting to ride, that's what I'd get. Ride it for a year or so and then get a two up rider. It's best to not endanger a passenger without truly mastering riding solo and that can take years but after a season you should be good to go. The whole dynamics of any bike changes drastically going two up. If you are dead set to get a two up rider then I'd go with the fatty. But you can, with much extra money, get the 48 to go two up, I just wouldn't do it.

#14 ·
I am woman that rides her own sportster. De
finately not a 2 up bike for long rides! My old man rides a dyna and spent alot of mile
s on the back of that bike. Way better choice for 2. Not ideal really but when he put detachable backrest on it was pretty good.
With that said, on my sporty i gave him a ride (just a short one when nobod
Y could see him riding bitch haha) but it was too much weight for the bike and the shocks, my tire rubbed the fender. I took passenger pegs off even now. Its
Not a 2up bike. I
should also say between the 2 of us we don't weigh even 300lbs. I also agree you def should ride awhile b
efore having a passenger.
Just a ladies opinion

#15 ·
Have you made a decide yet? Or are you still having some internal debate? If all else fails, find a cheaper Sportster, maybe 10 years old or so, still have the same engine, still be fuel injected, but it will be cheaper, (probably with some nice accessories) you can pay it off sooner.

If it meets your expectations, great! Trade it for a new Sportster when you pay it off. If it doesn't meet your needs, trade it for a newer Dyna after it's paid off.

Just another wrench to throw in to the works. :oops:

#16 ·
Have you made a decide yet? Or are you still having some internal debate? If all else fails, find a cheaper Sportster, maybe 10 years old or so, still have the same engine, still be fuel injected, but it will be cheaper, (probably with some nice accessories) you can pay it off sooner.

If it meets your expectations, great! Trade it for a new Sportster when you pay it off. If it doesn't meet your needs, trade it for a newer Dyna after it's paid off.

Just another wrench to throw in to the works. :oops:
Good thinking RG. I never buy new. My current Sportster was eight years old when I bought it. Been through a lot but no regrets. Been heavily modified and love it that way, but definitely not a two up bike.

#18 ·
I was just reading through these posts again when I came to ANNODAK. I just got my wife a Sportster, and I ride a Dyna Super Glide.

Now the question is, does she think of me as her "old man" and would she tell me that if I asked her? And the answer is "Oh I don't know, why?" So yeah, she does. ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.