Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some diagnosis help. I'm a pretty new owner to a 2016 CB300F and have found the bike overall a great time. However, I've been having this problem occur a few times and can pinpoint what the issue is.

Issue: Bike will start and run great, after riding around for however long and the bike is fully warmed up. I will stop and turn off the ignition to take a break, try to turn on the bike, and all of a sudden no electronics. No display or lights or anything. Battery voltage shows over 12.5-12.8. Sometimes the display will come back on after a few minutes, but then when trying to start, everything would go dead again. I can bump start the bike and it'll run completely fine again and show that it's putting in voltage at the battery of over 13v. This doesn't happen every time either. I've been able to ride around for 45 minutes, get home and turn the key off and wait a little and turn it back on and start up completely fine. Other times, I'll ride for 30-40 minutes and stop (last time was to get gas) and right after I filled up, I turned the key and got nothing.

I've already gotten the battery tested and it showed good, I've looked at all of the wiring and in general, everything seems to be fine.

I'm wondering if the starter relay/solenoid or rectifier/regulator could be the culprit and only fail intermittently or if it's an ignition key issue. Ended up changing the starter solenoid and thought the bike was doing fine, but got stuck again at the store and ended up having to bump start it again. So it seems like it's something else.

Any thoughts on what could be the issue and how to run it to ground? I have extensive experience working on cars and can follow a wiring diagram well, but don't have as much experience in the method to backtrack through a wiring diagram to pinpoint a failed component.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would start by correctly checking the battery and I don't mean testing for voltage checking it's around 12.5 volts.
The battery needs checking with professional test equipment for cranking to the starter/resistance across the battery cells/voltage & amps at cranking/battery sulphation. After that if battery is 100% health check the charging system is
working correctly it must be a minimum of 13.8 volts normally around 14 volts with lights on, if that is good remove and clean all earthing points and battery connections. It sounds like a bad cell in the battery that will still give a good voltage reading.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. I haven't gone through and checked all of the grounding/earthing points yet. Battery was tested and was said to be good, but I'll do it again. I also replaced the battery and ended up still with the same issue. I'll check the running voltage again this weekend, but the 13.8 minimum sounds about where it was the last time I checked. I'll update and as I go through it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I haven't gone through and checked all of the grounding/earthing points yet. Battery was tested and was said to be good, but I'll do it again. I also replaced the battery and ended up still with the same issue. I'll check the running voltage again this weekend, but the 13.8 minimum sounds about where it was the last time I checked. I'll update and as I go through it.
Also check for battery draining sometimes the rectifier/regulator diodes go bad and will drain the battery, a really good high amp multimeter tester needed to check the starter amps at cranking will test battery under load conditions and the satarter motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You outline the problem as you turn the key and have nothing..... can you clear a few points do you mean nothing being no ignition lights/head lights or indicators everything dead or just no starter turning the engine as it should. If you have igntion lights coming on when it happens again I would suggest taking a live wire from the battery positive to the selenoid on the starter that will also check the battery and starter motor it should turn over, Doing this check narrows it down to the starter circuit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry if I wasn't clear before. When the situation happens, I'll have absolutely nothing. No Ignition/lights/display is dead. I'll run a lead from my battery to try and run the starter that way to see if it'll jump start the bike. As I've said before, I thought it might be the main fuse/starter solenoid and ended up changed it already and still ended up with the same problem. I'll test through it and then start going down the path of the wiring itself if the charging system and everything else works as it should.

·
Registered
15 Posts
O k so nothing at all when this happens great we can now narrow it down to power supply from the battery either bad/dirty connections on the battery terminals chassis grounding earth faulty battery or ignition switch. Try wd40 into the ignition switch and work it on and off several times it could be rain water effecting it. Power only comes from the battery to the switch so should be an easy fix, Check full power in battery when it happens again to check no battery drain then check above items and let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Many Honda 2014 to 2016 models had recalls for a faulty starter relay switch that may cause the problems you are having so check with your local Honda dealership your Honda has been recalled and the starter relay replaced.
You can locate the starter relay under the seat normally a relay will click when they receive voltage you can put your fingers on them and feel the unit working so you can check this yourself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok let's start again the problem is no power at the ignition switch.
1 check the motorcycle has been recalled to replace the starter relay at a Honda workshop.
2 check battery does not have a dead cell and has cranking amps for the starter/ignition.
3 check earth from battery to the frame
4 check starter relay

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok let's start again the problem is no power at the ignition switch.
1 check the motorcycle has been recalled to replace the starter relay at a Honda workshop.
2 check battery does not have a dead cell and has cranking amps for the starter/ignition.
3 check earth from battery to the frame
4 check starter relay
Everything is dead when you experience the problem turning on the ignition switch so you need to check the power supply to the switch from the starter relay under the seat this is low amp wire to the switch that returns via the ignition switch to operate the starter relay. If everything is dead when you turn the ignition switch on it is either the power supply to the switch from the starter relay or an ignition switch fault not returning power to the starter relay. This can be checked with a multi meter at the starter relay connections.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Everything is dead when you experience the problem turning on the ignition switch so you need to check the power supply to the switch from the starter relay under the seat this is low amp wire to the switch that returns via the ignition switch to operate the starter relay. If everything is dead when you turn the ignition switch on it is either the power supply to the switch from the starter relay or an ignition switch fault not returning power to the starter relay. This can be checked with a multi meter at the starter relay connections.
Find the wiring harness connector block to the ignition switch pull it apart and check all the pins are clean and spray with circuit board switch cleaner, in my experience 90% of electrical problems are the connections to the electrical components. Also check the fuse block connections that power the motorcycle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts