Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am on the search for a sports-standard motorcycle capable of keeping up with most midrange sports bikes(CBR 600s, etc) in the riding group I am in. I was looking at FZ6, FZ1 and FZ8(though I think I want a fairing in retrospect).

A 2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s is also available I can get a pretty good price on - I test drove it and it seemed fine(but not nearly as exciting as the FZ1 in the peak HP range), but I'm not sure how it will handle more aggressive riding. The test drive I took it on was pretty calm with no fast corners(also I didn't want to crash a bike I didn't own).

Can someone give me some details on the realistic performance I can expect from such a bike? Can you run it like a semi-sports bike or not?

·
Registered
Honda VFR1200X (sold), only mod was "The BoosterPlug".
499 Posts
Hi,

I am on the search for a sports-standard motorcycle capable of keeping up with most midrange sports bikes(CBR 600s, etc) in the riding group I am in. I was looking at FZ6, FZ1 and FZ8(though I think I want a fairing in retrospect).

A 2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s is also available I can get a pretty good price on - I test drove it and it seemed fine(but not nearly as exciting as the FZ1 in the peak HP range), but I'm not sure how it will handle more aggressive riding. The test drive I took it on was pretty calm with no fast corners(also I didn't want to crash a bike I didn't own).

Can someone give me some details on the realistic performance I can expect from such a bike? Can you run it like a semi-sports bike or not?
It's more of a big bore, all purpose UJM.

Reactions: Grucks

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm not sure what a 'semi-sport' or 'sport-standard' bike would be. If your group is on the track, you are going to be disappointed with the Bandit 1250s. If you are on the street and are racing, that might not be a great idea although many riders do it. So, what is 'keeping up' really mean? If the 600 sportbikes are dragging knees, you may want to get a sportbike to keep up. If you are talking about spirited riding, the Bandit will do fine, but will work you a lot more than a lighter bike will. The Bandit is in around 550 pounds wet, and a sportbike is in around 400 pounds. Find a good deal on a 600-750 sportbike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure what a 'semi-sport' or 'sport-standard' bike would be. If your group is on the track, you are going to be disappointed with the Bandit 1250s. If you are on the street and are racing, that might not be a great idea although many riders do it. So, what is 'keeping up' really mean? If the 600 sportbikes are dragging knees, you may want to get a sportbike to keep up. If you are talking about spirited riding, the Bandit will do fine, but will work you a lot more than a lighter bike will. The Bandit is in around 550 pounds wet, and a sportbike is in around 400 pounds. Find a good deal on a 600-750 sportbike.
Some place between racing and spirited riding I guess. I agree it's pretty heavy heh. After some thought I think I want to get a bike with ABS as an option and I don't see many of them available(all the FZs don't have ABS in the US sadly). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
There are probably a lot of 600 cc sportbikes, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki available in your price range, but they most likely will not have ABS for the model years within your budget. Something like the Ninja 650 may be available with ABS for 6k, but it's not going to 'keep up' with the 600's. What bike models and years are your group riding? Although I prefer Kawasaki's in larger bikes, it is hard to beat the price and performance of some of the older model Suzuki Gixxer 600, but then again they probably will not have ABS. If I found a bike I liked, it having ABS or not would be one of my last considerations, but everyone to their own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are probably a lot of 600 cc sportbikes, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki available in your price range, but they most likely will not have ABS for the model years within your budget. Something like the Ninja 650 may be available with ABS for 6k, but it's not going to 'keep up' with the 600's. What bike models and years are your group riding? Although I prefer Kawasaki's in larger bikes, it is hard to beat the price and performance of some of the older model Suzuki Gixxer 600, but then again they probably will not have ABS. If I found a bike I liked, it having ABS or not would be one of my last considerations, but everyone to their own.
I read ABS reduces crashes by 25%? I'm just paranoid about the rain tbh.

·
Registered
05 R46, & Fully worked 03 CBR954RR
48 Posts
Hi,

No worries! You can throw a 2016, 1250 bandit scraping knees & almost elbows without worrying. A little heavier than the average super sport ride, but like most high performance bikes from the land of the rising Sun's big 4 bike producers, they all are not only high performance engine wise, they also are just as high in performance handling. So once you get used to a big bandit? It will go where ya put it every time, every speed.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Almost any bike, with the right tires, that will lean without dragging parts, you can drag a knee, but at almost 600 pounds wet weight, you will get tired quicker than those you ride with on sportbikes.

There are many tires available that handle the rain well, like Hypersport S22's and Road Smart RS4. My biggest concern in the rain is the ability to see, needing ABS doesn't even concern me. in the twisties or open road slow down a bit in the turns, and in traffic give yourself some space. Don't avoid the rain, embrace it, and get some rain gear!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts