Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2015 - Back to the Arctic Circle

There are only two roads in North America that cross the Arctic Circle, the Dalton Highway in Alaska and the Dempster Highway in Canada.
I rode to the end on the Dalton Highway on my Vision in 2012 and now I feel the need to ride to the end of the Dempster Highway. :)
The Dempster Highway is more than 400 miles one way and there's only one way back! I hope I get a chance to try this!! The full trip should be about 7500 miles.

Dempster Highway detail -

Looks like fun!! :biggrin:

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
Are you going to run knobbies on this one too?:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you going to run knobbies on this one too?:biggrin:
Yes!! For the Dempster Highway knobbies will be a good choice. I'm also going to carry tire repair equipment. (the rear tire will be a run flat snow tire)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the trip to Prudhoe Bay, AK I had a Dunlop Winter Sport on the rear and a Dunlop E3 on the front. The rear tire worked great in the mud and gravel the front tire didn't work well.

On this next trip north I will have the Shinko 700 Series on the front -

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Hey Rollin, with all the rough stuff you've been through, have you had any fork seal or steering head bearing problems?

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Honestly I would have been surprised if you didn't.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay on the left and the Dempster Highway to Inuvik on the right.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
That ride is on my bucket list...but I think I'll use a KLR instead of my Vegas

Hoping (again) to get a SS1000 under my belt, but I've planned that for the past 3 seasons and haven't gotten it done yet.:frown:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sounds like a GREAT trip! wish I was doing it.
GOOD LUCK!!! post some pix!!!

cheers, dT
Thank you!
Based on the weather I may not be able to do this until June. I started to buy some new equipment now just so I can spread out the cost. I will take a lot of pictures!

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I've been asked to organize another run this Spring to the Lighthouse on Jamestown Island, in Rhode Island, from CT.

Guess people LIKE going there as much as "I" do.

-Soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
Have fun Rollin, you sure seem up for the Challenges .. A bit prejudiced here but admire seeing it done with Victory Power ..

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is going to be fun!

I like the "est" rides, highest, lowest, farthest points and now this will be an est ride.

Inuvik is the northernmost point in Canada that you can ride too so I did some research and there is also an official southernmost point in Canada so now the ride will start there. This trip will now be over 8400 miles. Cool!

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
That's a pretty big challenge. Is there a time factor involved too?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a pretty big challenge. Is there a time factor involved too?
No time limit. There's no official ride just something I have been planning.

The only time limit is I have to get back to work so I will still need to do it quickly.

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Cool. Good luck and have a swift and safe ride.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts