Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Im going to be getting a street bike next year once I get my permit, I really like the new r3, it looks mean and gets good fuel economy, and ill be able to go plenty fast on it. Not to mention within my price range. Would it be okay to get a brand new ride at 15 and a half? It'll be my 2nd bike.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
In the "entry level" crotch rockets you will find a power gain in the newer 300+ cc range over the older model 250cc range, however it won't be that great of a gain.

You can probably still find one of the 250's new and save a bunch of money.

Keep in mind, these are "entry level" bikes, at the very most you will keep it 3 yrs (probably 1 yr) and be looking for a 600-650, the more you save on the first one the easier it will be to get the second. I believe Honda has been selling the '12 for under 3k, I've considered getting one for an "entry" into crotch rockets.

Start looking at insurance cost. You will need to get VIN for various bikes to check insurance costs, for some reason they don't won't to give you a cost without a VIN.

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
In the "entry level" crotch rockets you will find a power gain in the newer 300+ cc range over the older model 250cc range, however it won't be that great of a gain.

You can probably still find one of the 250's new and save a bunch of money.

Keep in mind, these are "entry level" bikes, at the very most you will keep it 3 yrs (probably 1 yr) and be looking for a 600-650, the more you save on the first one the easier it will be to get the second. I believe Honda has been selling the '12 for under 3k, I've considered getting one for an "entry" into crotch rockets.

Start looking at insurance cost. You will need to get VIN for various bikes to check insurance costs, for some reason they don't won't to give you a cost without a VIN.
The 321cc engine is going to be plenty I think, I can hit 100 and cruse at 75 comfortably. I only weigh 140lbs. The insurance is going to be about 350 a month, that is the biggest problem. :( But a 600 will be more in insurance for a ''beginner''. I also have to ride freeway daily, would the 250s would take that hard? Not to mention the occasional 6 hr ride to my grand parents.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Its not just that you are a beginner in the eyes of the insurance company, its also the type of bike. $350/month is alot + payments and then you have to be able to buy gas.

Keep in mind the bike you're looking at is something you might keep 3 yrs, a 250 will be cheaper and the insurance will most likely be a little less but it is still a sportbike.

Yamaha makes a 250, I believe a 400, and a 650 in cruiser style which would probably be cheaper on insurance. The 250 I probably wouldn't hit the interstate or even take off on a 6hr ride.

If there is a significant difference in insurance cost then I'd recommend a cruiser, it would be better riding a cruiser than paying for insurance for something you can't afford to ride.

350/month is alot, I'd suggest you take the person that deals with insurance in your family to the agent to check over the policy, they may be tacking on a bunch you don't need. And check with other companies.

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not just that you are a beginner in the eyes of the insurance company, its also the type of bike. $350/month is alot + payments and then you have to be able to buy gas.

Keep in mind the bike you're looking at is something you might keep 3 yrs, a 250 will be cheaper and the insurance will most likely be a little less but it is still a sportbike.

Yamaha makes a 250, I believe a 400, and a 650 in cruiser style which would probably be cheaper on insurance. The 250 I probably wouldn't hit the interstate or even take off on a 6hr ride.

If there is a significant difference in insurance cost then I'd recommend a cruiser, it would be better riding a cruiser than paying for insurance for something you can't afford to ride.

350/month is alot, I'd suggest you take the person that deals with insurance in your family to the agent to check over the policy, they may be tacking on a bunch you don't need. And check with other companies.
Ok I found a company that's almost 150 bucks cheaper, there was a lot of crap tacked on the other one. I have to be able to do freeway so I can get to school, I live outside of Reno and the only road going in is 65 mph freeway (everyone does 75 on it). would a vintage sportbike be better, Like a 750cc?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I think a lot depends on what your goals are. While the 300 will have more of everything than a 250, the 250 would meet your needs, can do 90, and would be a great starter bike. Consider the 2 following scenarios:

1) You buy the R3 for $5000. Insurance is $200 a month, for a 2-year total cost of $9800 plus gas and maintenance. You sell the bike after 2 years for $3000 for net cost of $6800.

2) You buy a 2008 Ninja 250 for $2500. Insurance is $100 a month, for a total 2-year cost of $4900. You sell the bike for $2000 for a total net cost of $2900 over 2 years.

In both scenarios, after 2 years you have sold your bike and are ready to move up to a 600. The R3 costs $3900 more.

The difference could buy your next bike http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/4814970692.html

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I think a lot depends on what your goals are. While the 300 will have more of everything than a 250, the 250 would meet your needs, can do 90, and would be a great starter bike. Consider the 2 following scenarios:

1) You buy the R3 for $5000. Insurance is $200 a month, for a 2-year total cost of $9800 plus gas and maintenance. You sell the bike after 2 years for $3000 for net cost of $6800.

2) You buy a 2008 Ninja 250 for $2500. Insurance is $100 a month, for a total 2-year cost of $4900. You sell the bike for $2000 for a total net cost of $2900 over 2 years.

In both scenarios, after 2 years you have sold your bike and are ready to move up to a 600. The R3 costs $3900 more.

The difference could buy your next bike http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/4814970692.html
Awesome summary, nicely said! :cool: That post should be put as a sticky on top of the "1st bike / new rider" section :D

·
6,504 Posts
We all went through this with him some time ago if I'm not mistaken. I believe he rides a Honda trail 90 in the dirt. We gave him the same answers before:
Take an approved safety course and start out on a smaller cc, used bike and check with insurance companies regarding whether they will even insure you at all, without being on your parents policies. It was also mentioned by me that insurance for a sportbike at his age may cost him 2 to $4,000 per year.

The beat goes on!:confused:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
We all went through this with him some time ago if I'm not mistaken. I believe he rides a Honda trail 90 in the dirt. We gave him the same answers before:
Take an approved safety course and start out on a smaller cc, used bike and check with insurance companies regarding whether they will even insure you at all, without being on your parents policies. It was also mentioned by me that insurance for a sportbike at his age may cost him 2 to $4,000 per year.

The beat goes on!:confused:

Sam:coffeescreen:
Yes, I think we have talked around and around with him about which bike to buy. He is 15, and unlike most of the hotshots that roll up and tell us what we don't know and disappear, he has stuck around and continues to contribute and be a part of things, so as far as l am concerned, he is one of us. And l will continue to give him the time of day, even if it means beating a dead horse.

I remember being 15...all l could think about was buying a 1984 Yamaha FJ600, because l had seen one on the cover of Cycle magazine with a caption that said, "Less Weight, Less Wait" and l thought it would be cool to get one with a license plate frame with that inscription on it. Never mind the fact that the bike had more power than l knew what to do with and rattled your arms off at 65 mph. I WANTED IT. I WANTED IT AND I WAS DETERMINED TO GET IT. The only reason l never got it was because l couldn't afford it, thank God. My point is, if l can spend a little time giving some direction and offering some insight to this young man, then l will, and others are too. I think we are doing a pretty good job...we've got him down to an R3 :)

·
On The Road Again!
2,657 Posts
I want to mention something that no one else has covered so far. You mention "..the 6 hour ride to see my grandparents".
Now I don't know about the rest of you guys, but there is NO WAY I'd be doing that on a sport bike where I'm leaned over with my weight on my arms and wrists. My arms and back would be killing me and it would take all the fun out of riding.
I'd look for a bike with an upright seating position. It will be MUCH more comfortable in the long run.
Just my 2 cents....

P.S. I'd bet that I'd be more comfortable on my Honda Trail 90 after 6 hours than you would be on that crotch rocket.
Again....just my two cents. :)

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really appreciate your guys advice and input, but I decided to go another route with the new Yamaha 400 retro bike. I will be ''sharing'' (me riding it everyday and my dad going out maybe once a week) he will pay for most of it and put the insurance in his name. I chose the 400 for two reasons, one is everyone else on campus rides a sport bike so mine will be unique and two its more practical over all. it gets 66 miles per gallon is more comfortable and has more power.

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts

SA, what model 400? I have an 83 XS400 Seca. It is my winter bike. There is an XS400 site and lots of info.
Was out my my 400 in the rain today.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
Nice

I like it.
Good size, not complex. Should be a nice ride. That size bike is so much more fun to ride around town, and will scoot quick enough down the highway.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Great looking bike. I liked it when I saw they were again selling them in the USA. Take care out there and be sure to take the BRC as soon as you can.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts