Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wait is over and yet again more motorcycle lines have been blurred. It's sort of like a T-rex, but half the price.......
Introducing the all new Polaris Slingshot !!!!!!

173HP
166lbs torque
2.4L DOHC powerplant
Price starts at 20k and 23K well equiped
Near 1g in the corners !!!!!

I'm calling to set up a test ride/drive

Video here -------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NvPo1xs89bU

·
American Legion Rider
20,086 Posts
That's a three wheeled car. I don't care what they claim. You sit in it not on it, it has a steering wheel not handlebars and the passenger sits next to you not behind you. It's a dang car. Convertible but still car!

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I don't think I could get this old body back out of that. 5 inches off of the ground? No thank you, not for me. I'd probably look like a beached whale trying to roll out of it. :D :D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That thing does look interesting, and I do really enjoy seeing innovative out-of-the-box concepts & creations, but..

..what's the point of it? Meaning, why not pick a 4-wheeled open concept design vehicle instead? What benefit does one-less-wheel (3) give you in a vehicle like that?

It probably needs to have a computerized nanny on board to keep you safe, like the Spyder..

·
7,034 Posts

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
Meaning, why not pick a 4-wheeled open concept design vehicle instead? What benefit does one-less-wheel (3) give you in a vehicle like that?
The main reason they went with 3 wheels is to avoid the cost of making a vehicle that meets the government mandated standards for a car.

·
10,763 Posts
Not just the safety standards, although those are big issues for certain, but emissions and noise standards as well.
Could you imagine taking your motorcycle test on that thing? That would be easy, and fun.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
And yet again Polaris tries to copy Harley...

That looks like a Morgan to me.......

Harley had a cool reverse trike concept a few years back that never made it to production because Can Am wouldn't loan HD thier engineers to make it work. :biggrin: Thats a joke, I'm not sure why it never made it to production.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
I liked HD's Ideas on that one at least had Handlebars and an open seat .. Think they missed a possible money maker .. While I not fond of this Slingshot being called a Trike , times are changing and may be a hit .. But not for Old School Types ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
"That looks like a Morgan to me....... "

-Yeah, I think it is.

"Harley had a cool reverse trike concept a few years back that never made it to production because Can Am wouldn't loan HD thier engineers to make it work. Thats a joke, I'm not sure why it never made it to production."

-They also had a patent on a reverse trike that had wheels that would lean when you turned. I'm not sure if that's the picture you posted as I've only ever seen a patent drawing, but it looked like some slick engineering. That was about ten years ago that I saw it.

I think they decided to stay with making motorcycles instead. ;)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
No disrespect to it, but I just don't understand how the vehicle licensing commission decided that thing is more motorcycle than car.. You sit BESIDE your passenger, wearing a seatbelt, holding a steering wheel..

Here in Canada they would either have to redefine their definition, or declare that thing a car..

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/emerging/motortricycles_faq.shtml#a1

The federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) defines a motor tricycle as a motorcycle that:

- is designed to travel on three wheels in contact with the ground,
- has seating on which all occupants must sit astride,
- has no more than four designated seating positions,
- has a GVWR of 1,000 kg or less; and
- does not have a structure partially or fully enclosing the driver and passenger, other than that part of the vehicle forward of the driver's torso and the seat backrest.
Scroll down that website for some more interesting insights on tricycles

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think that anything with 3 wheels usually falls within the designation of a motorcycle. Depends on country/state etc.

If I remember right, when the first jet powered land speed record cars appeared, Craig Bredlove took the world motorcycle land speed record at a speed higher than the actual land speed record because the Spirit of America had 3 wheels and was judged to be a motorcycle. The FIA had to do some quick thinking about that one. Now I think the FIA allows wheeled or "ground effect" vehicles to hold the record, how'd you like to try to control an 800 mph hovercraft?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts