Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
20,004 Posts
This will be interesting to watch. Harley's V-Rod was just so-so accepted. The Indian guys have been waiting rather impatiently for the re-introduction of the Scout. Now can I last long enough to see if they bring a trike into the picture??? I'm hoping but I doubt I'll see one. But who knows. Polaris does seem to be trying to give the motorcycle world more options.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I like it and I'm not a cruiser fan. I like the sitting position. It's about the same weight as my old bike, about the same horse power with a lot more low end torque. I'm not sure I'd like to be captured in one sitting position on a long ride and I'm not a fan of that type handle bar but you can't have everything. I think I'll keep mine, a lot more fun on the twisty roads.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I could always recognize the Indian bikes. I never really disliked the looks of them, but I never really liked them either. Now you show me that. I'm going to have to go look at that in person. I really kind of like it.

Randy just reminded me that I said I would never want a bike without a windshield and saddle bags. The Maxim didn't have either when I got it and it didn't take me long to put them on. I wonder how that would look with them...hmmmm...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Indian has knocked it out of the park with his one! Immediately strikes me as cool and beautiful, distinctly Indian but in a fresh way. Not a cloying "retro"- it's better than that. Great first impression- it doesn't have to "grow on me", gut reaction is positive and one of quality. I suspect this machine is one that will look even better in person, and boy does it have it all over those cheap looking HD 750 and 500 Streets.

Whoever made the design and styling choices on this project knew what they were doing. The proportions, shapes, stance, and attitude are all spot on. Love how the angle of the shocks exactly replicates the angle of the hard tail frame tubes of the vintage Scout- the back half echos it perfectly, the valenced fenders, even the seat shape. Not too much chrome, which is appropriate.

They did as best as could be expected to try to hide the radiator, a better job than most, but this is ultimately impossible. The only thing I'd change would be the cutoff front end of the fender- I would have followed the shape of the vintage Scout more closely. That and the exhaust pipe muffler shape/forms jump out to me as unfortunate and having room for improvement.

To summarize: a new modern classic is born. Would welcome it into my stable as an only cruiser.

Job well done- cheers to the boys in Minnesota!

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
This looks like a classic Indian Scout about as much as a modern VW Beetle looks like a classic air-cooled beetle. There's a vague resemblance, but just barely. This bike looks to have come from about the same styling thought process as the Honda Fury and the Harley Rocker: Make a bike that tries to sell itself by looking like something else that it clearly isn't. Instant "custom" bike for the masses, only this time they're hoping to sell it's "classic" appeal.

I give Indian an "A" for effort, and it has some very nice details, from what I can see. And of course I'm sure that technologically it's going to be an advanced bike that gets the most power out of it's size that it can. No doubt it will have many nice features too.

Too me the frame looks like it has a broken back or is trying to hump it's own engine. The gas tank starts out great and strong, but then everything gets curved downwards. Straight lines would have helped out soooo much better here, and would have given it a truly classic look.

Trying to ape the look of a hard tail with the shocks is about as foolish as the fake suicide shifter I've seen on some Sucker Punch Sally's and other bikes. Too candy-assed to ride the real thing? Here, we'll make something that's easy so you too can feel special. Don't forget your lick-n-stick tottoos either. :p

The front fender looks like a left over bobtail rear fender that was rotated back and put on as an after thought. They could have extended the front of the fender out and it would have looked very good, but they didn't. The back fender looks pretty good just as it is. The buttons are a nice touch.

The pipes look like big ole trash cans, but form has to follow function, so they did the best they could, I'm sure. Give it 6 months or so and Vance and Hines will have a cure for the ugly pipes.

The engine looks like it may just end up being uglier then the Harley V-rod engine. That would be hard to do, and I'll have to see one in person, but it could be a contender.

Overall my opinion is that it's a clumsy attempt to copy the classic style of another company's vintage bike. But other then the tank logo there's not much to identify it with a classic Indian or one of several other classic bikes of that period. But then I won't be riding one so my opinion doesn't much matter at all, right? :biggrin:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,313 Posts
HEY leave my 'lick and stick' tattoos out of this!!!!

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
"or is trying to hump it's own engine. The gas tank starts out great and strong, but then everything gets curved downwards. Straight lines would have helped out soooo much better here, and would have given it a truly classic look."

Darn Eye, I thought curves were supposed to make a bike look Sexy. ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
... This bike looks to have come from about the same styling thought process as the Honda Fury and the Harley Rocker: Make a bike that tries to sell itself by looking like something else that it clearly isn't. Instant "custom" bike for the masses, only this time they're hoping to sell it's "classic" appeal.

Couldn't you say that's pretty much the design intent of literally every single brand new Harley Davidson?

Too me the frame looks like it has a broken back or is trying to hump it's own engine. The gas tank starts out great and strong, but then everything gets curved downwards. Straight lines would have helped out soooo much better here, and would have given it a truly classic look.

Straight lines? That'd be completely incorrect, inappropriate, and look goofy. Look at that vintage Scout behind it. They captured perfectly the curved downward sweep and profile of the back half behind the gas tank. Masterful work there.

Trying to ape the look of a hard tail with the shocks is about as foolish as the fake suicide shifter I've seen on some Sucker Punch Sally's and other bikes. Too candy-assed to ride the real thing? Here, we'll make something that's easy so you too can feel special. Don't forget your lick-n-stick tottoos either. :p

Or perhaps just as foolish as trying to ape the look of a hardtail by hiding the shocks underneath the bike- does the HD Softail sound familiar? Who wants to ride a motorcycle with zero rear suspension in 2014- that's "candy assed?

Overall my opinion is that it's a clumsy attempt to copy the classic style of another company's vintage bike.
If that's a "clumsy attempt" to design a contemporary Scout, I'd love to see what you would come up with given the same design program. Show us!

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
"or is trying to hump it's own engine. The gas tank starts out great and strong, but then everything gets curved downwards. Straight lines would have helped out soooo much better here, and would have given it a truly classic look."

Darn Eye, I thought curves were supposed to make a bike look Sexy. ;)
It's kind of like reading a personals ad, Moni. Curves DO look sexy! Bulges and disjointed lumps, not so much.

Your Vision, for example, has some VERY well thought out and sexy curves. It's not what I choose to ride because it's not my style, but I can look at it and appreciate the thought, experience, and artistry that went into designing that bike. It's about as close to rolling art that a production bike has come, and it's certainly not trying to look like anything else.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts