Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

It’s been a long time coming, but super excited to share that I recently completed the beginner riding course and earned my motorcycle license! ?

I’m looking into entry level bikes. Not trying to be wishy washy, but my heart isn’t set on anything other than it being a cruiser. So I’m open to suggestions as well.

Does anyone have any experience with either the rebel or Vstar mentioned in the subject line? Any observations to share? Any differences to be aware of?

I have no experience with bikes outside of the course and I’m not very
Mechanical although I want to learn.

Any suggestions when buying used? Things to look for? Questions to ask? Etc.

Bike will mainly be used on backroads and to cruise around.

Thanks!

Melissa

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
Are you looking for more than is in this checklist? I found that in a simple search. But I do admit I knew there had to be something already covered here.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
You cant go wrong with either bike. Both will run great for many, many years. And you wont lose much money (if any) if and when you decide to sell/trade them. This is truly one of those times you can buy the bike that speaks to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You cant go wrong with either bike. Both will run great for many, many years. And you wont lose much money (if any) if and when you decide to sell/trade them. This is truly one of those times you can buy the bike that speaks to you.

Got it. Thanks! I was able to check out the Honda today. It's actually a 2005, so I got the year wrong. It rode nice and was in pretty good condition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not to try and change your mind. And if you set on a 250 class crusier than either would do nicely. But you might want to look at the 650 offerings.

The suzki Savage which in later years became the Boulevard S40. It is a 650 cc single cylinder which is not much heavier than the Rebel but would give you more bike to grow into. Around 30 hp at 375 lbs

The yamaha V-star 650 might be worth a look. Slightly bigger V twin bike. Very nice looking classic style crusier (in my opinion anyway). Air cooled, shaft drive, around 40 hp at 475 lbs. Probally a nice size for women, smaller person or someone starting out.

The suzki intruder was available in 700cc then 750 cc and finally 800 cc. These are nice fairly small bikes with lots of power and fun. Later years they became the Boulevard S50. Liquid cooled, shaft drive, around 55 hp at 450 lbs. These are fairly quick bikes so you want to take it easy for a while.

Most folks seem to outgrow a 250 crusier quickly and want something bigger. But they are nice to learn on. The Rebel is around 18 hp at 330lbs.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Perhaps another bike to consider would be the Suzuki TU250x. It's more of standard than a cruiser. Your feet are under you as opposed to out front like on a cruiser. Performance will be in a similar vein as the Honda or Yamaha. It's a simple easy to work on motorcycle, but the TUX does offer the benefit of fuel injection. All the other bikes mentioned have carburetors.

They've been selling the TU in the US for about 10 years, so there should be some used ones out there if you want to go that way. CycleTrader, where you can search by zip code, is another place to look for used ones that are nearby. Congrats on the license and good luck finding a bike.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Whatever you buy, sit on them first and see what "fits" you. Some things can be adjusted some, but get what fits and you'll ride more comfortably, more often. Good luck finding your "right" bike. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.