Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 boulevard c50 boss and am needing to change my oil and differential fluid. I recently moved and lost my owners manual. Im at 9500 miles on the bike and my last oil change was at 6000 so its time.y only issue is i dont know any specs on the fluid or how much to use. The shop is quoting me at 140$ for the job and im sure i can do it cheaper myself. Can someone please help me out here? And also if anyone has any how tos on the differential fluid change that would help alot. I really appreciate any positive feedback.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Most Suzi 800s use 10W40, about 4 quarts (sometimes a bit less). Fill level is checked bike standing upright, of course, after briefly running it to fill the oil filter. Without the fill volume spec in hand, I'd put in 3 quarts, do the fill check, then add a bit at a time.

The pumpkin will take less than a pint; you need a GL5-rated hypoid oil, and 75W-90 or 75W-100 synthetic is what most use. To drain and fill the drive, you need to have the bike standing up, and fill until it reaches the fill hold threads. If you don't have a lift, you need a friend, as just putting a block under the side stand won't get it upright enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok im a complete noob with this so with the gear oil i just go to the auto parts store and get any gear oil that says 75w 90 on it? Also with the oil does it matter what brand synthetic regular. Im being ocd and sorry for that i just dont wanna mess up my bike.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
You can get Rotella T6, which is synthetic and motorcycle rated, at your local WalMart. Many use it, and really like it; I currently have it in my old CB450. Just make sure whatever oil you get doesn't have 'energy conserving' or similar on the package, or it may make your clutch slip.

For the rear drive, it should be for hypoid gears, and have the GL-5 rating, but any brand will do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts