Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just bought a brand new honda Grom. It's 125cc's. I love the bike but I cannot get on the freeway with it. Does anyone know if it's possible to modify the engine to 150cc's or more?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
While it's theoretically possible to modify the frame to accept a larger engine, it's likely going to be a lot cheaper and a lot less trouble to simply sell/trade-in and buy a larger motorcycle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I just bought it a few days ago and it's being financed so I'm not sure I can trade in so soon. But it's perfectly sized for me to handle. I don't really want a bigger bike. I just need to be able to get to San Diego and apparently there aren't any back roads that will take me there. maps only gives me freeways.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
They are great motorcycles to learn on and become a very proficient rider. Easy to handle and great on gas. They aren't designed for interstate speeds, however.

Buying new, you are going to take a hit on depreciation when you sell it. Considering all the use and learning you can get out of it, it's a great deal in the long run. Ride it for a season or two and trade to something larger later on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that sounds good. Bc I really love the bike. Do you know of another way to get to San Diego from la without taking the freeway? I go out there two days a week bc I'm a carpenters assistant. And I wanted to save $ from taking the train all the time

·
American Legion Rider
20,004 Posts
You need to get a county or area map. That will have all the surface streets in your area

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Congrats on your new Grom.

There are big bore kits to increase the engine size. IMO there's more downside than up in doing that to a new bike. For example, it'll void your warranty and mods may come back to haunt you since it's generally easier to sell or trade a stock bike.

Google maps has an option to avoid highways, but it adds a lot more time and miles to the commute. Without checking "avoid highways" its 2 hours 6 minutes and 120 miles. After checking "avoid highways" its 5 hours 37 minutes and 162 miles. Here's a link: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Los+Angeles,+CA/San+Diego,+CA/@33.3839847,-118.2150221,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m16!4m15!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c2c75ddc27da13:0xe22fdf6f254608f4!2m2!1d-118.2436849!2d34.0522342!1m5!1m1!1s0x80d9530fad921e4b:0xd3a21fdfd15df79!2m2!1d-117.1610838!2d32.715738!2m1!1b1!3e0

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. I actually was using google maps! It still gives me highways after clicking avoid highways. When I click it; it'll say "old highway 395" I looked at pictures- it's out in the desert- which is cool but i dont know how traffic is on that route and I want to avoid cars bc I can't keep up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I read it can go 65 in another forum. I need to check my manual bc when I was on the freeway I started red lining at 50 and revving at 57 but couldn't shift up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts