Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, i have 13 yamaha fz6r all stock with approx 13000miles.. the transmission started to act up only in 2nd gear. when in 2nd gear under agressive driving and rpm climbing "preparing to shift into 3rd", it would act as if its slipping in and out of gear rapidly. at first i thought it was a performance issue, but it only did that in second gear. now it wont shift out of 1st gear at all. any ideas on what it could be? and if a complete trans rebuild would be necesary. and how much would that cost ?????

·
Registered
62 Posts
Will it shift into 2nd with the engine off? Hopefully it's just a clutch. Roll it forward while trying to shift into 2nd with the engine off, if it goes in while off but not on it could just be a clutch. The bike has to be moving a bit to go into 2nd from 1st with the engine off. 2nd gear issues are very common with a lot of 600cc sport bikes, the engine in the FZ6R i believe is just a differently tuned older R6 engine. They are known to have 2nd gear issues, typically caused by missing second a lot and/or clutching up in second to do wheelies or hard pulls. I'm certainly not a transmission expert, but I can tell you whats involved in replacing a transmission on a motorcycle like yours, I ride a 05 ninja 636 which is also plagued with 2nd gear issues I have looked into it. You have to split the case of the engine to even get at the transmission, it's not like a car where the transmission and engine are in separate housings, on a bike like yours a good bit of the engine has to be taken apart to even get at the transmission, its very involved and likely beyond the skills of your average DIY. To have say shift forks, gears, and whatever else you need replaced in a shop will be very expensive in just labor costs not including parts, if I had to guess over $2000 depending on the parts that need replacing. Unless you plan to do the job yourself it would almost certainly be cheaper to just replace the whole engine with a good used one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW, i droped the bike off at the shop, and they told me exactly what you said in regards of repairs. 2500 to 3500 in parts and labor, and thats not a guaranteed quote. paid 4700 for the bike last summer. i dont know if spending that kind of money for repairs is the right thing to do.

·
Registered
62 Posts
They were sure the transmission was the issue? In my opinion no it's not worth paying to have that fixed at all, $3500 is way too much to spend repairing that bike. I did a quick search and it looks like you can get a used engine for that bike for under $1000, I'd go that route. An engine swap should be a good bit less in labor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.