Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 2012 Ninja 250r 5k miles bone stock. Early in the morning around temps of 45-50 sometimes even the temps are 60's my Ninja will not start without me running the choke for a bit. After it warms up for about 3 mins (sometimes more if its colder) it runs real good. Then when I put it in gear and give throttle theres a slight delay then rpms shoot up and I'm off. My question is is the problem my carbs? also will seafoaming help any? If so should I just pour in the gas tank so it can flow through the carbs?

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Hi ROZero. Let's start with a few questions. The answers will help pinpoint a solution.

How long have you owned the bike?
Where abouts do you live?
Is the bike stored (properly) during winter months if you can't ride?

While I wait for a reply, let me say this: small engine Kawis usually require the choke to start and idle even in a tropical climate like here in Hawaii. It's their nature. A 3 minute warm-up in colder areas would be normal. But even after 3 minutes, you may need to keep the choke on at least half for a few miles.

Adding seafoam to your gas would not hurt anything, and could prove helpful. The next time you fill up at the gas station, put about 5 ounces in the tank and then add gas.

I was a big supporter of seafoam in years past, but I recently discovered a product called "Mechanic In A Bottle" and have been VERY impressed with it. Even more so then Seafoam. I still use both in my shop.

Jack

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ROZero. Let's start with a few questions. The answers will help pinpoint a solution.

How long have you owned the bike?
Where abouts do you live?
Is the bike stored (properly) during winter months if you can't ride?

While I wait for a reply, let me say this: small engine Kawis usually require the choke to start and idle even in a tropical climate like here in Hawaii. It's their nature. A 3 minute warm-up in colder areas would be normal. But even after 3 minutes, you may need to keep the choke on at least half for a few miles.

Adding seafoam to your gas would not hurt anything, and could prove helpful. The next time you fill up at the gas station, put about 5 ounces in the tank and then add gas.

I was a big supporter of seafoam in years past, but I recently discovered a product called "Mechanic In A Bottle" and have been VERY impressed with it. Even more so then Seafoam. I still use both in my shop.

Jack

Jack
1 Year got it at about 3.5k miles
Ohio
I disconnected battery, added fuel stab and left it in garage (not heated) all I did for winter storage

The thing is I know the 250's are small bikes with small engines so they might require some choke to start up. But my brother has a 2009 ninja 250 and it runs and starts like a dream not needing choke almost ever. We both do our own maintenance so we both do the same things to our bike but his starts better. Would cleaning the carbs from a shop help? Or would mechanic in a bottle do the trick? My brother has never had the carbs cleaned and he has 6k miles so maybe its not a carb problem. Any help is appreciated!

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
1 Year got it at about 3.5k miles
Ohio
I disconnected battery, added fuel stab and left it in garage (not heated) all I did for winter storage

The thing is I know the 250's are small bikes with small engines so they might require some choke to start up. But my brother has a 2009 ninja 250 and it runs and starts like a dream not needing choke almost ever. We both do our own maintenance so we both do the same things to our bike but his starts better. Would cleaning the carbs from a shop help? Or would mechanic in a bottle do the trick? My brother has never had the carbs cleaned and he has 6k miles so maybe its not a carb problem. Any help is appreciated!
Um... Based on your answers to my questions, I would say there's a chance your bike wasn't stored exactly proper. So yes, the hesitation you experience when you roll on the throttle is probably due to the carbs being gummed.

With that said, I would recommend "Mechanic In A Bottle" (MIB) used as directed on the label and then ride the heck outta that bike. Seafoam will work, but the MIB seems to work better. The best part is there's no way to OD on either cleaner... So have at it!! Oh... and let us know the outcome!!

Jack

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um... Based on your answers to my questions, I would say there's a chance your bike wasn't stored exactly proper. So yes, the hesitation you experience when you roll on the throttle is probably due to the carbs being gummed.

With that said, I would recommend "Mechanic In A Bottle" (MIB) used as directed on the label and then ride the heck outta that bike. Seafoam will work, but the MIB seems to work better. The best part is there's no way to OD on either cleaner... So have at it!! Oh... and let us know the outcome!!

Jack
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll order the mechanic in a bottle tonight, although I might have some seafoam in my garage. If I use the seafoam should I just pour it in an empty gas tank and let the bike run? I see people showing so many different ways of using seafoam like pouring it in there vacuum hose or something that. So is the proper way to clean carbs just pour in the gas tank?

·
8,606 Posts
The 2 gentlemen gave proper advice.

I personally like Techron to cure a severe carb blockage problem. I also use lots of Seafoam and Lucas too.

Your secondary jets are partially plugged up. The idle and main jets usually are the last to go. Here's what you do:

OVERDOSE a full tank of fresh fuel with any of the mentioned cleaners and then go for a long, hard ride and rev the snot out of the baby Ninja and even downshift to make the engine really rev on deceleration because having the throttle completely closed forces lots of air into the carb and that also cleans things out. I bet a nice 50 mile ride will have your bike running as good as new!

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The main thing is carbed bikes need to warm up before riding. Smaller-engined ones probably more so than the larger ones. If the motorcycle runs fine once it's warm, it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
There's nothing unusual about needing the choke. I had a 2008 Ninja 250R a few years ago. Always needed the choke if the engine was cold or even partially cold. If I remember correctly, the manual said to use the choke on cold startups unless it was more than 90F out. Out of the 5 bikes I own or have owned (all carbed) the only one that will start without choke in any and all temps is my '84 XV1000 (I've owned the bike for over 2 years now and seriously don't even know WHERE the choke is :)).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: So I got to the gas station and filled the tank and added the seafoam following instructions on can. Let the bike idle for about 5 mins, then went for a long HARD ride, I rev'd the crap out of it redlined every gear like 10-15 times. Then At midnight around temps of 48-53 I tried to start it up and it fired up instantly and started idling with no choke at all and after 10 seconds was receiving full throttle without dying. So Thanks for the help guys The real test comes when I have to leave for college in the morning around 6am so we will see if it fires up most likely it will.

On a side note engine braking has improved also I feel the bike coming to a stop much more gently, dont know if this is just a placebo or seafoam actually helps engine braking.

Thank you all for your help I really appreciate it!

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Update: So I got to the gas station and filled the tank and added the seafoam following instructions on can. Let the bike idle for about 5 mins, then went for a long HARD ride, I rev'd the crap out of it redlined every gear like 10-15 times. Then At midnight around temps of 48-53 I tried to start it up and it fired up instantly and started idling with no choke at all and after 10 seconds was receiving full throttle without dying. So Thanks for the help guys The real test comes when I have to leave for college in the morning around 6am so we will see if it fires up most likely it will.

On a side note engine braking has improved also I feel the bike coming to a stop much more gently, dont know if this is just a placebo or seafoam actually helps engine braking.

Thank you all for your help I really appreciate it!

Thank you for the update!!! Great News!!! Now, don't be a stranger Zero!!:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's probably best to run the carbs dry or drain them for winter storage, draining the tank is a good idea to. If you leave gas in the carb bowels it will dry out leaving a varnish like coating on the float and it can plug up the jets, old gas from the tank doesn't help either. The 250's carbs have very small jets and things get plugged fairly easily, I know for owning a 2005 250 Ninja.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
It's probably best to run the carbs dry or drain them for winter storage, draining the tank is a good idea to. If you leave gas in the carb bowels it will dry out leaving a varnish like coating on the float and it can plug up the jets, old gas from the tank doesn't help either. The 250's carbs have very small jets and things get plugged fairly easily, I know for owning a 2005 250 Ninja.
Leaving the tank empty for an extended period of time can cause rust to form inside the tank.

Its best to pour in a fuel stabilizer like Stabil, fill the tank and run the engine for at least 10-15 minutes.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts