Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so the other day I came back home from riding and when I parked I noticed my bikes temp was 237 and turned it off and then it started a steady stream of idk what from what seems to be the overflow hose on the right side of the bike underneath. I don’t think fan turned on and thought it would be coolant but does not look like it? Any ideas or have you seen something like this? The oil sight glass doesn’t have this in it and the substance didn’t look like it had oil mixed in like when I looked up how coolant and oil looks mixed? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
It is not straight coolant, and not straight oil. I agree with OES. It is a mixture. Water usually makes oil look like that. 237 is quite warm. The fan should have come on around 212. If it puked out, it was under pressure. Can you tell where it came from. I would explore that before any more riding. And I would check the compression.

UK

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
The oil sight glass doesn’t have this in it and the substance didn’t look like it had oil mixed in like when I looked up how coolant and oil looks mixed? Thanks!
This would confirm that you do not have coolant getting in your oil. Check to see if your getting oil in your coolant. Check the expansion tank reservoir.
I checked the diagram on your water pump and it appears that it doesn't have any seals. Which I don't understand, clearly a lot different than mine. What you do have is an oil cooler, and looking at the way it is hooked up it would have to have seals within it. The bad news, it appears you can't replace parts/repair the oil cooler. If defective it would need to be replaced. Prepare for sticker shock.
OEM replacement $550
FYI:
I don't know the specs on your bike, but my fan kicks on at around 203 degrees.
Time to get your fairings off.

·
Ace Tuner
2,008 Posts
Can't really tell from the pics but that sure looks like water mixed with oil.
Tracing that hose to its source should be your first priority.
Could that hose be an air box drain? If it is maybe water got in the air box and mixed with oil that naturally collects in the air box by way of the crankcase breather.
Depending on what you find, or don't find in, or about, the air box....
I wouldn't trust what you see in the oil sight glass. If it were me I'd drain the engine oil to get a good look at it.
I'd also want to drain the coolant so I could take a look at it.

S F

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drained the oil and the oil was good looking and clean nothing mixed in it! So maybe somehow a tiny bit got into coolant but none into the oil. Or maybe bad radiator or water pump. Taking it into mechanic in a few days

·
American Legion Rider
19,394 Posts
But was the oil level lower from the last time you checked or can you tell? As it would appear oil is getting into the radiator and not water getting into the oil then with that check. May not be enough getting in yet to show a level drop in the oil. It doesn't take much getting into the radiator to turn it milky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts