Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently got to drive a 2011 BMW X.3 SUV. In summary it was the finest automobile I have ever driven.

What I like best about the X.3 was its transmission I don't know if it's a seven speed or eight speed but it shift gears flawlessly it has so many gears it's in third gear before you get out of an intersection

If you're cruising along at highway speed and even touch the accelerator to speed up it downshifts before the engine even revs. The motor is incredibly smooth almost silent and incredibly powerful. At 80 mph the engine is only turning 2000 revs. The X.3 practically idles at 5o mph

I'm sure it's drive-by wire and they have programmed the Accelerator pedal to be incredibly sensitive press it a quarter inch and you're off and n running

I'm sure you thinking this sounds like an ad for BMW and I assure you it's not I personally think most BMW drivers are snobby and selfish drivers. Constantly speeding. But this car completely changed my opinion of the vehicle itself

Aside from the amazing performance the thing is loaded with features that any technophile will love. You simply stand next to the car with the fob in your hand in the door locks operate. Quite a contrast from the useless KIPASS on my Kawasaki Concours.

Even while barreling down the highway at 75+ mph from Durango to Albuquerque I was able to link my iPhone to the Bluetooth and listen to Pandora and take calls. Good multipurpose screen is fairly intuitive. Not perfect as I couldn't figure out how to tune the radio other than the presets. But the system will suck in a CD read it and store the tunes in an onboard disk drive how great is that? During this trip I had access to dozens of CDs that the owner had read and stored

I wouldn't even have been able to consider a $60,000 car for most of my life but having now driven the X.3 I have to tell you I am now wrecked. This thing is about as close to automotive perfection as you can get. The seats have three levels of heat the air-conditioner blows ice cold the seats adjust six ways from Sunday the car has no road noise or wind noise the only possible downside I can see is you have to have somebody to show you how to use a couple of key features for example I couldn't figure outhow to turn the radio off after I came to a stop or search for new stations

You pull on the doorhandles twice once to unlock the door the second time to open it you hit the start stop button twice first to turn off the motor and the second time to turn off the radio and unlock the doors the shift knob is wacky like a lot of new cars with park in the center and reverse forward and drive pulling back instead of the park reverse neutral drive we have all learned our entire lives

Like all BMW products this one is sometimes too sophisticated too technology equipped for its own good in this case the sunroof motor is throwing some sort of error code. Dealer horror stories abound with BMWs I'm sure the repair will NOT be cheap. In fact the reason why my friend is considering getting rid of this otherwise exquisite car is because the warranty is about to run out.

So if you think you know what a great car is own one take one of these High end BMW,s for a ride sometime or maybe not because you'll be wrecked like I am.

·
American Legion Rider
18,562 Posts
You pull on the doorhandles twice once to unlock the door the second time to open it you hit the start stop button twice first to turn off the motor and the second time to turn off the radio and unlock the doors the shift knob is wacky like a lot of new cars with park in the center and reverse forward and drive pulling back instead of the park reverse neutral drive we have all learned our entire lives
Guess I'm wack because that sounds more like it should be. The way we've been doing it is wack to me. Always has been. Look at any manual shifter layout. Neutral(park) is in the middle. We can flip a coin which direction first and reverse are. I would have one except for the price tag.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts