Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has a solution to the engine light coming on after reaching around 90km/h. The light remains hard on (not flashing) until you stop and turn the engine off. When i start it again, even after a couple of minutes rest it starts without the engine light on until i reach around 90km/h again. As the bike is new to me i havent riden it much and not really aware of the what noises are normal. It runs nicely and has the typical v twin noisey sound to it.
Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Paul

·
Ace Tuner
3,489 Posts
When you say engine light are you talking about the low oil level warning light?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Semi fast,
As far as i know the vstar 650 classic doesnt have an oil low light. After reading up a little more the engine light comes on or flashes if a problem is detected in the electrical Circuit monitoring the engine. The question now is where is the sensor and can it be cleaned or checked without going to a yamaha dealer or mechanic?

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for several seconds. Like 10 - 30 maybe. Sometimes on certain bikes, that will reset things. That may not help in your case but it might be worth a try.

·
Ace Tuner
3,489 Posts
The Yamaha has a low oil level light instead of an oil pressure light.
Have you checked to be sure the oil level is full, at the top of the sight glass?

I used to own a new R6 that the oil light would flash on or come on when running at high RPM anytime the oil level was below totally full on the stick.
On some models, as the bike ages, the oil level sensor can get kinda 'sluggish' to react and the oil warning light will come on while at speed even if the oil level is in the okay range.
With the old Virago's it was common for the oil light to come on when the bike was on the sidestand idling, if the bike had some age and miles behind it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SemiFast
Thanks for the feedback all good points however, in Aus there isnt an oil level or oil pressure indicator on the VStar 650 Classic. Only as follows:
1. High beam
2. Turn signal
3. Neutral
4. Engine trouble shooting light (my issue atm)
5. Immobiliser system indicator
Another thought is that when i first bought the bike i discovered the hyper charger did not have a filter installed. After more cleaning and work on the bike i have discovered the carbies have small pod filters installed. Could having two air intake filters be starving the system of air, thus causing the engine trouble shooting light to come on?

Foot note:
Im still on my Learners and in Aus a Learner rider requires to be accompanied by a full licence rider
Reason why I'm not able to test ride, at the drop of a hat, when trying changes. Night shift work doesnt help either lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SemiFast
Sorry forgot to answer the oil point. I had done an oil change 2 weekends ago, both engine and drive shaft. Levels are all good.
Cheers mate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts