Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating over either getting a used jackpot or a new scout. I don't know a whole lot about bikes and am having a hard time deciding what to get. Any insight from some of you who might own any of these bikes or have lots of riding experience would help.
I'm 5'5", 150 pounds. I do only a few rides a year. A few short day trips and a few trips over the weekends and such. I currently ride a 1983 v65 Honda magna, looking for a bike I'll probably use for many years to come. Any thoughts?

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
If I have a choice of "new" vs "used" I defer to "new."

For the warranty, the lack of miles, and wear and tear, .....

and I like the looks of the Indian Scout! (but that's just "me").

Both brands you cite are getting a lot of attention again these years, and are trying hard to do a great job with their products. You'd probably find both of them to your liking.

Pictures!!!!!

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
In the particular case I'd go with the Scout. But year for year on any other Victory might be different though. But I would still go with how each one felt in a test ride as my deciding factor. Really can't go wrong with Victory or Scout. Year and price being major factors though.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Test ride both and then decide.
The Jackpot's fat rear tire makes it a different ride and can make cornering "interesting."
I really like the looks of the Scout, but haven't thrown a leg over one yet.

Either way, let us know what you decide...and post pics:icon_cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys, any little bit of info helps.i have a couple other things i was hoping to get some insight on.

Jackpot- was discontinued this year.i like that in a way as it will definatly limit the amount of jackpots on the road, i like having something abit different. Will it limit the after market parts available down the road since the line is gone? Will Polaris focus more on the indian brand if it really takes off again and leave the victorys to the way side?

Indian scout- the scout is priced pretty good in my eyes. But to keep the look of the bike, i would think one would want to keep that old leather throughout. I see for saddlebags in the same leather are like $1100, i know accessories are expensive but seems like they know your gonna buy that stuff to keep the look and there isnt much right now for after market stuff. Is the Indian market gonna be very big? As with the victory i like that u dont see many indians anywhere. My biggest reason for not liking harley is that i have seen 5 of the same bikes at one stop, i personally like to have something u dont see a lot of.With being so new is there a chance there will be any big issues that maybe a guy should wait to get a scout à couple years down the road when the kinks are worked out?

is there much of a différence between the two in power. I see the scout has a smaller engine. But when i read the stats on torque and rpms for each bike its like speaking chinese to me. any thoughts on this area?

I have not rode on either bike. The jackpot is discontinued so ill have to hopefully take a test ride on a private sale. As for the scout, there is only one dealer in my area and they have no bikes in stock or on the floor, so i cant even sit on one yet.They told me that there was a problem at the production plant and they are behind.

Sorry but i accidentally post this thread twice and now have two conversations going as i dnt know how to combine the groups?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I like the idea of the used bike. A Victory is a very solid bike, so not much concern about buying used if it has been properly maintained. The Victory line made significant transmission changes in 2011 and went from a 2500 miles maintenance schedule to a 5000 miles schedule for things like an oil change. If you are looking at an earlier Jackpot that can make a difference. My 2013 Victory Vision has 21,550 miles on her and is as good today as the day I drove her home. Actually she is better because she finally got properly broken in somewhere around 10,000 miles.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Jackpot= Aftermarket parts are fairly widely available, some parts made for other victory models will fit the Jackpot since it is built on a similar platform.

I don't think that the Victory brand is going anywhere. Indian and Victory are really aimed at different markets. Indian is focusing on the heritage and nostalgia of the name, while using new mechanicals. Victory is more for those looking for more modern, inventive styling.

Scout= While the aftermarket is pretty thin at the moment, I think more and more parts will become available as the model continues to gain momentum; but that may take a little time.

you may be able to find a used Jackpot at a dealership and ride one. Our local Victory dealership actually has one in the showroom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts