Motorcycle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This site requests you introduce yourself as one of your first few posts so people know you are serious and not a hit and run type poster. Introductions found here ... https://www.motorcycleforum.com/forums/new-member-introduction.305/
Hi,
I test drove a used 09 F650GS recently (800cc motor). I really liked it. Only thing was some weirdness in the steering. I’m trying to understand if this is a big deal that will require repair or not a big deal and just how this type of bike and setup handles on road. Any advice is much appreciated. Background info below.
At speed in a straight line, I took it up to 80mph on the highway for a good few miles and it was solid and planted, no funny smells, leaking or smoke. Only strange thing was at a certain speed range around 35mph and on very circular highway exit and entrance curves, the steering felt like it had a sort of regular slow wave where the handlebars seemed to push on me fading slowly back and forth, right to left to right to left until the turn was over. Not like a sped wobble but a longer slower wave. I was careful to make sure this wasn’t caused by my inputs. I don’t know much about how these enduro bikes are supposed to feel. Some other background info. A while back, the owner hit a pothole and the left side of the front rim has a little bend in it. I also noticed the right fork was Mounted about 5mm higher than the left in the triple tree. No idea if that does nothing or is a big deal. The front tire was a block pattern shinko with the correct tire pressure but the owner mentioned that the block pattern was stepped down from use and needed to be replaced in another 1000 miles or so. There was also a question about the steering head bearing. The owner showed me how it has a slight blip when the wheel crosses dead center where the column seems to lightly ‘key in’ to dead center if you know what I mean. The bike has had 2 owners and has about 30,000 miles. It’s never been taken off road and has been fairly well maintained as far as I can tell. If anyone has any thoughts on this or read something that rings a bell, please share. I’m trying to decide to buy or not buy
Thank you, much appreciated!
Eric

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.