Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what's going on, bike will start and idles smooth, revs smooth and everything seems perfect, after a minute or two of running and around about 130-150 degrees it just shuts off like someone just hit the off switch, it does not choke out or run any different before it dies, just shuts off and will not start again until it cools off, I have so far changed the pick up coil and changes the entire wiring harness and fuse block including all the fuses and relays, I took out the stator and cleaned it all up but it did not have any burnt spots or anything, I found it strange that oil was in the stator but it shows it is suppose to be a wet stator. I have also bypassed the kickstand switch and bank angle sensor temporarily to eliminate those issues as well, any advice to help get this thing to get further than the stop sign would be greatly appreciated, pretty embarrassing pushing this thing back home in front of my neighbor harley rider and listening to his crap.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I'd try some duct tape -- on the neighbor.

But seriously -- how long till it will restart? Youve got to carry a test probe alligator clips and figure it out WHILE it won't restart -- jumping power to key circuits

Do you lose headlights?

It's gonna be something BASIC like a loose main ground ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It usually takes about 30 minutes to restart,the right side headlight is working but the bulb could be out on the left, I don't think it's the ground because I just replaced the entire wiring harness, any more ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
Quits

When I was at The Ridge in WA in late September, a 600 Honda was doing similar things. Was the fuel pump. Might not be in your case but worth a look.

Unkle Crusty

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just started the bike and let it die, once it died I primed the cylinders with fuel and still does not start up, I guess the pump is ok, think it's electrical.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
Plug

Pull a plug out and check for spark. If it is not sparking it is electrical. If it is sparking it is fuel. That is a generality, but usually correct unless something else bizarre is happening.
But is does run, and then it quits. So something goes south under certain conditions.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulled the plug and it started up, had great spark, after it died it would not spark anymore when trying to start it, has got to be electrical.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
That bike is FI right?

Either the ECM is losing power or not seeing one of the signals it demands to keep the motor running.

Post a link to a schematic and together we can figure out what the required signals are -- crank position sensor, kickstand, ignition switch, kill switch ...

You can then test each of those or jumper (hotwire) them one at a time.

Does it seem to be time/temp related as to when it dies? Will it run longer on a cold morning? Or is it vibration - hitting a bump or going over RR trax

Or random

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is fuel injection, kickstand switch is bypassed. I'm not real sure what schematic you would like me to post.?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It shuts off around 140 degrees, which always takes the same amount of time to get to that temperature so not sure if it's shutting off due to time or temp, it is sitting on a stand and shuts off so it's not a bump that does it.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Just a guess here, but have you tried to open the gas cap and see if it will restart? Sometimes the air vent gets stopped up. It might be worth a try. I really hope you find the problem soon.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
140F or 140C?

If your bike is hitting 140C a thermal overload switch may be shutting it down

are the fans kicking on? Coolant topped up, system burped?

I could go find a schematic for your bike in 15 minutes but YOU wouldn't learn anything from that.

So I say again, go get an electrical schematic for your bike supply me a copy, preferably PDF or a link and then we will proceed...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
140f, the fans are not turning on because it does not get hot enough before it dies, I did jump the fan relay and all worked fine though, I have not tried running it with the gas cap open, going to try that now.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
So the question is "What happens at 140F". My guess is that is where the bike considers itself "warmed up" and goes into closed loop operation.

So I would be looking for problems with the O2 sensor and airflow box. Maybe an intake Air Temp IAT or COOLANT temp sensor. CTS Did you by chance remove or disco the O2 sensor while changing exhaust systems?

Do you have a tuner on the bike?

If you can't find a schematic on the web take donuts down to your local Honda dealer and copy the schematic out of their service manual..... Most are pretty good about letting u copy a few pages... If the donuts are fresh...

Any particular reason you haven't taken the bike to a qualified MC mechanic?

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
Can you check the ECM for any diagnostic trouble codes without using a factory computer? Harleys have a built in work-around using the speedometer readout, so I assume your bike would have something as well, no? I'd check for active or stored ECM codes before I did much of anything else.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts