Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1100 with a very annoying issue. The bike will run fine for anywhere from 2-20 miles. The average is about 5

At that point it acts like it is struggling to get gas with more and more throttle being required to hold speed until it starts to slow and die. When you pull over popping one of the 2 fuel lines off of the carbs instantly alleviates the problem.. for another 5 miles.

The bowls and jets are clean. I can blow through the vent tube coming out of the top of carburetor. The gas cap is too loose if anything, gets water in during rain, and I have tried riding with it popped. I have replaced all fuel lines, not the pump or filter as they seem fine and would not explain the apparent vacuum problem.

Am I missing something? Is there some kind of diaphragm in the pump that could cause this? Is there another vent?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, its driving me nuts hence my joining. I can usually figure a vstar out, it's not my first. Every 1100 I mess with though makes me hate the finicky carbs even more and appreciate my 650.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Float hanging up not allowing enough fuel in the keep bowl full? Or a piece of gunk plugging things up in carb or tank?

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
That’s weird. I was going to say fuel tank vent but you already covered that.
Fuel pump or fuel filter. Maybe the pump heats up and stops after a while? Then you take off the line and the pump gets a chance to cool and then run freely for a bit. If it was me I’d figure a way to test it for an extended test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not a vacuum petcock. I don't believe there are any sharp turns, hoses under the tank are bad about pinching but I keep an eye out for that.

Bowls were spotless last I had them off. I'm not tapping the bowls to unstick the floats before it runs correctly again.

The fuel pump is suspect, but I'm not giving it a chance to cool. I can pop the hose loose for two seconds or less, literally the time to pull off and put it back, and it's back running

Another trick that does work, though not as well, is shutting the bike off while still Rollin 55+ and restarting after 10 seconds. It gets me far enough down the road to pull over safely most of the time

Thank you for the responses, sorry my email is messing up and not telling me when I'm getting them

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
If you replace the fuel pump and it continues with the same problem, I'm going back to something in the tank or carb that is floating near some fuel passageway that gets sucked in or down shutting off the supply until its shut off for that 10 second period. These can be very hard to find. I hope it isn't that because its very frustrating to say the least. Like learning new cuss words frustrating.:smile_big:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could be a clogged vent tube. Ive never had it happen to me but I have heard of similar problems with the clogged vent tubes. My wife use to have a Honda VTX 600 shadow that had the same problem. Couldn't figure it out and neither could her brother who is a "mechanic". Turned out to be the vacuum petcock. Diaphragm had a tear in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts