Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Hyosung gt250. I just got it as a project because it didn't run. I put fuel down the carb and cranked it and it fired up for a little. As I was cranking it then the starter started to slow down and then it stopped and now nothing happens when I press the start button. I figured it was the battery but I had it tested and it's still good. Does anyone know what could have happened?

·
Banned
159 Posts
I have a 2008 Hyosung gt250. I just got it as a project because it didn't run. I put fuel down the carb and cranked it and it fired up for a little. As I was cranking it then the starter started to slow down and then it stopped and now nothing happens when I press the start button. I figured it was the battery but I had it tested and it's still good. Does anyone know what could have happened?
There are a few possible causes.

Have you jumped the solenoid to see what happens? If not, go do that. Run switch on, ign on, touch the two posts on the solenoid together. Itll spark pretty good regardless. Tell us what else happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a few possible causes.

Have you jumped the solenoid to see what happens? If not, go do that. Run switch on, ign on, touch the two posts on the solenoid together. Itll spark pretty good regardless. Tell us what else happens.
I'm honestly not to sure where it's at. I've worked on many cars and dirtbikes so I figured I might as well dive into street bike so I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. I traced the positive to something that looks like it might be the starter but I'm not too sure

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm honestly not to sure where it's at. I've worked on many cars and dirtbikes so I figured I might as well dive into street bike so I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. I traced the positive to something that looks like it might be the starter but I'm not too sure
Ok so that was the starter. It cranked very weakly and had a pretty big spark so now what would be my next step

·
Banned
159 Posts
Ok so that was the starter. It cranked very weakly and had a pretty big spark so now what would be my next step
That is the starter yes but the solenoid is what the positive lead will connect to.

So it turned over "very weakly" even when jumping the posts... I would disconnect and remove the starter and spin the motor with your fingers. It should be fairly easy to spin with zero noise and just the intermittent magnetic resistance that you feel when turning any brushed motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is the starter yes but the solenoid is what the positive lead will connect to.

So it turned over "very weakly" even when jumping the posts... I would disconnect and remove the starter and spin the motor with your fingers. It should be fairly easy to spin with zero noise and just the intermittent magnetic resistance that you feel when turning any brushed motor.
So the solenoid really doesn't want to come off. I can move it around but it doesn't want to come off

·
Banned
159 Posts
So the solenoid really doesn't want to come off. I can move it around but it doesn't want to come off
I think you are talking about the starter.

It has a washer on the nose that likes to hold tight. Pull harder or use a screwdriver for leverage.

I need to know that you understand the difference between a solenoid and the starter. You are ignoring some of the words I am typing. Post a pic of what you are trying to remove.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you are talking about the starter.

It has a washer on the nose that likes to hold tight. Pull harder or use a screwdriver for leverage.

I need to know that you understand the difference between a solenoid and the starter. You are ignoring some of the words I am typing. Post a pic of what you are trying to remove.

Attachments

·
Banned
159 Posts
Yep thats the starter and judging by the outside condition it sure might be toast. Make sure you have the bolts all out, disconnect that wire, then use a screwdriver to pop it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep thats the starter and judging by the outside condition it sure might be toast. Make sure you have the bolts all out, disconnect that wire, then use a screwdriver to pop it out.
This is the condition of the starter. It does have that intemitten magnetic feel that you mentioned and doesn't make any noise.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I have a feeling your engine is turning over tight as ****
try turning the engine over somehow. Pull the plugs first if you like, so there is no compression and that will make it easier

1 - 20 of 21 Posts