Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Suzuki VS 1400-Intruder. I have owned this bike approx. 18 months with no problems-until 3 hours ago, that is.
I turned the key on and hit the starter button, it turned over twice and then it shutout down completely. No ignition lights, no anything. I checked the battery terminals and the fuses, all good.
I am getting full voltage to the accessory terminals in the fuse box.
Any and all help with this delima will be much appreciated.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
First, double check the run/off button to make sure you didn't accidentally bump it. Then check the kick stand kill switch and make sure it is ok. If it's neither of those hopefully one of the mechanics will be along with more suggestions.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Forget the voltage on the accessory connection. Have someone measure the ignition voltage while you try to crank the engine. Starters draw a lot of power and a poor battery connection or similar problem will show up as seriously reduced voltage when cranking the engine. Another possible cause of low voltage would be a problem with the battery itself.
Just a couple of suggestions while we wait for the real experts to chime in.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
How old is the battery? Luckily l have never had a battery die but from what l hear, a lot of times it is instantaneous like you are describing. Also, do you use a tender?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I now have a new problem-possibly the solution to the first one as well. I was going to inspect the key switch, but the two screws holding it together broke off while disassembling.
Does anyone know a good place to buy or order a new one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Eye. The battery is 2 years old and putting out full charge.
I have looked up J&P and at least 20 others, none of which carry one for my model :(.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
If you can't find one at the auto store call JP and speak to their metric tech line. They have access to tens of thousand of parts that aren't listed on-line or in their catalogue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Appreciate the input. The inside of the key switch is blackened-looks like it shorted out.
Have one ordered from local bike shop (155.00).
A company is holding the patened on it until 2016. This explains why I could not find it on the internet.
The switch will be in friday or tuesday.
I will post the reasults when I find out.
Thanks to everyone for all the input :).

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Just a head's up, Calvin...in the future, if you have a mechanical issue that you need help with, you will get help quicker if you post it in the repair section. Sometimes things can sit here for a while before anyone notices :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts