Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas,

So, I have my 2007 Suzuki Boulevard C90 mothballed for the winter, and we got some mild weather, so I decided to run it up...she's been on the trickle charger so the battery is maintained. I rolled it backward to the entrance of the garage, then I noticed a wet spot after several minutes...it looked like water to me, but then it was clear when I felt and looked at it with my fingers that it was oil. I looked back at where I was idling it for around 20 minutes, and sure enough, there was a slow-drip oil leak.

It's DIRECTLY underneath where the kickstand meets the bike and pivots for storage.

Anybody have any idea what it might be? I'd like to know before I start doing anything about tearing stuff down.

Thanks guys!

Maitai

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Did you smell it? Clutch fluid has a pretty strong smell, and that's about where the clutch slave cylinder is located.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,305 Posts
Suzuki has long had a problem of oil vapor from the crankcase that is routed to the air cleaner, collecting in the air cleaner housing and slowly seeping out and ending up in different area on the engine. There are many possible reasons for this but one common one is over filling the crankcase during an oil and filter change.:plain:

Some of the problem is exacerbated by high speed riding more so than sedate usage.:sad:

My brand new 2012 Suzuki C109 Cruiser did it from day one:plain:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drip, Drip, Drip...

Hi WintrSol and Porky,

Thank you very much - I'm typing this to you from a very loud garage where my bike has been idling now for 25 minutes - and no leak. However, I do have the following to report:

1. I removed what I believe to be the secondary gear case cover (left side, right above the kickstand and there is a front cover still on) and identified some parts. Also, I have a mechanic's service manual (the real deal from Suzuki.) I found:
a. The kickstand switch
b. The master clutch cylinder reservoir (complete with bleeder valve) at the "top" area
c. The neutral indicator light switch directly beneath the clutch cylinder, or the "bottom" area

2. I found drips of mostly clear fluid with not a very viscous feeling to it - kind of thin feeling - and the smell was unremarkable - neutral - no strong smell.

3. After cleaning out a mud wasp nest (thank you very much,) I gave the whole area a thorough cleaning...but most importantly, before the cleaning, I tried to deduce where the leak was coming from...I only found the drips on two bolts - one on the clutch cylinder, and one directly beneath it on the neutral indicator light switch. This would lead me to believe that I'm dealing with a clutch fluid leak (with not very smelly fluid?), as you pointed out first, WintrSol.

4. Porky - that corporate knowledge is very much appreciated! I'll certainly look out for it, but when I had my bike torn down for painting, I replaced the air filter and gave the housing a good cleaning...it was pretty much spotless inside before I cleaned it. No gross or obvious oil that I could see.

OK, that's it for now. After 35 minutes, I'm shutting it down to see what it does overnight...if I don't find anything in the morning, I'll chalk it up to sitting over the winter and tighten that clutch cylinder bolt down a little more.

You guys are the best!

Regards,

Maitai

PS: Last thing - I exercised both brakes and the clutch multiple times today while it idled. Thought you'd like to know ;)

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
BTW, that is the clutch slave cylinder; the master cylinder is on the handle bar, with the reservoir attached. I suggest you check the fluid level in the reservoir; maybe turn the bars to the right to level it up, and a 2x4 under the side stand to help with that. Make sure fluid doesn't drip on any painted or polished surfaces; if it does, have water handy to rinse it right away.

Reactions: Porky
1 - 5 of 5 Posts