Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four days ago I bought a Honda cbr125 , today I shifted down to second to make a turn at the lights, when it pop out of gear and revved as though it was in neutral, I pushed it into a parking lot tryin out the gears .. But nothing, it just revs like it's in neut. I can roll it like it's in neutral even though the green neutral light is off , when I push down On the shifter it makes one click noise like it clicked into gear but doesn't move and can freely role . I tightened the clutch cable but that didn't work. I have a road test on Tuesday and not much money to fix this. I'm mechanically inclined if someone can tell me what to do. The only thing diff about today was I added 4 stroke castor oil to the bike . 10w40 and the previous oil was honda 10w40sj . I only added about one oz to the bike and it read too much oil.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Tightening the clutch cable too much would cause the clutch to slip. (It's being engaged slightly even with the lever out when too tight) There should be about 1/8 inch of free play in the cable at the clutch lever housing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried adjusting it a few times. Now if I put it into first , it still rolls but makes like a clicking sound. I have my road test tomorrow I'm a bit lost right now .

·
American Legion Rider
18,512 Posts
You don't want to do a road test if you have a slipping clutch. You'll ruin it for sure. Just test in shop for easy of putting gear, neutral and then friction zone. No road test until those feel good. Then road test to feel if you have slipping in a block or two. No more if it's still slipping. The clutch can take a lot of abuse but it can be ruined with just a slight slippage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean a road test for my lisence, I bought a small bike to make the test easier as I am a smaller guy , I only used it twice and it's still revs like it's in netural

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1/8 , if I tighten it a bill in makes that sound like it's rolling a card in the spokes quietly .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you think I should drain the oil again and take the gear cover off and if so , should I tryin shifting it with the cover off? A friend is telling me that , but I think he may be pretending to know more then he actually does. And I find I get the best results using a chat forum because everyone sounds a lot more professional.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am selling mine too, I paid 1400$ and 236$ in taxes and insurance , I'm tryin to get 1000$ for it as I only bought it 5 days ago off David underwood in sooke b.c canada . I road it twice both trips together for a totAl of 22km . So he sold me a bike that lasted 22km for 1400$

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I do not, but I adjusted the clutch , drained the oil twice replaced filter, rocked it tryin to find the sweet spot . Moved it tried to do it in 2nd , tried unsticking the plates. I'm guessing now it's the gear box. I can not afford to bring it in to get it fixed ( embarrassingly enough) . I feel ripped off (Love Many, Trust Few, Do Wrong to None)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't say Dave ripped me off ( because he may not have knew it was junk) how ever I can state facts I bought it on his word that it was a " good bike" I can honestly say I drove it 2 twice totally 22.0 k.m , I paid 1400$ 5 days ago for it. So yes it may not have bin his fault but it was certainly no fault of my own and it seams fishy

·
Registered
3 Posts
just a heads up i have been told that this will end up costing me more than its worth to fix , i would be lucky to get $400 for mine :( :( :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can try kijiji, I had a 800$ and a 900$ offer on mine one was email one the guy called me and looked at it. I didn't turn the offers down I just told them to wait and now I'm seeing if I get offered more. I'd still feel ripped off selling it for 1000$ but what ever all I can do is warn people from now on .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Again though, I am not saying David underwood ripped me off , I'm only saying I bought a bike from him 5 days ago and now it does not work. And that I feel ripped off. I just want that to be clear

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,442 Posts
Again though, I am not saying David underwood ripped me off , I'm only saying I bought a bike from him 5 days ago and now it does not work. And that I feel ripped off. I just want that to be clear
have you talked to him about the issue? Try that and see what happens, but you really should have done that when the problem first started.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I talked to him over about 20 emails . I tried what he suggested and it didn't work. The bike was bought from him 5 days ago as a " good bike" time to accept my loss and move on. I believe him that he says he didn't know it would happen , but I wouldn't buy a bike from him again and take that risk because I really don't know

1 - 20 of 28 Posts