Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I’ve posted this on Kawasaki Forums, but haven’t had any replies. I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I want to include as much information as possible. Here I go:

Bought the bike about 6 weeks ago with 33k miles on it. Rode it 20 miles home and it ran great, with only one noticeable issue; At 8,500 RPMs (More noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear. The bike also makes a sort of hissing sound coming from the left side, which I believe to be an exhaust leak) the bike would lag quite a bit. After giving it a little more throttle, it would easily make its way to redline. A few days later, the bike wouldn’t charge. I replaced the stator and rectifier, but the problem remained. I replaced the Magneto and finally, the bike charged again. Rode it for a week with no problems (Except for the 8500 RPM issue). A few days ago, I rode it 30 miles to my girlfriends college. 5 miles before i got there, on the freeway, the bike overheated and died. NOTE: The bike has coolant and the fan works. I live in Texas, but I was going 80mph when it died, so I had more than enough wind to keep it cool. I draped my jacket over it and sat in the shoulder for 10 minutes while it cooled down. Started her up and carried on my way. As soon as I turned into the parking lot, it died, but it wasn’t overheating this time, so I started her right up and carried on. A minute later, right before pulling into a parking spot, it died again! So, the bike died 3 time a within about 10 minutes. Hung out with my gf for 7-8 hours and then left. On the way home, the bike died another 5-6 times. On the last time it died, I was in my neighborhood, so it wasn’t a huge deal, but the bike just had no power. By that, I mean that when I held my throttle steady, the bike would jump up and down in RPMs and then start to die. I’m morning sure how I kept her from dying, but I kept her steady at 15 mph until I got home. When I get the time, I’ll be doing a compression test to see if it’s my valves. I know valves make a ticking sound, not a hissing sound, when they’re bad, but maybe I’m mishearing the sound. Again, I apologize for the long post, but this bike Ian kicking my ***. Any help isn’t greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
Next time it happens pop your gas cap open, if you hear a swoosh of air and the bike runs your tank vent is clogged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to get back so late, I’ve been busy with work. I’ve had a chance to look the bike over and do some tests. I did a compression test, that’s fine. All 4 cylinders firing close to 150psi. However, my spark plugs were fouled (said to be new by the PO) and there’s was a little bit of oil on them and the boots. Not sure if I mentioned already, but I do have a valve cover leak. New gasket and bolts, with O rings, are on the way. Another thing I found is a lot of build up around the boots where my throttle bodies and intake manifold meet. There’s also some inside the throttle bodies themself. I plan to remove the TBs and clean them out. I’m also going to check my injectors and fuel pump, as well as replace a dirty fuel filter. I still haven’t done the simple task of checking my oil level, but there’s a slight chance it’s low due to the leaks described. Thanks for your time and replies guys! Sorry, but I haven’t now tried the gas cap thing yet. I don’t want to ride the bike until everything else checks out. Then, if the issue persists, I will try it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts