Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started having trouble with my VT 750 there are times when i turn my key and have no power no lights no starting no nothing, if i play with the the key in the inginton (Sorry) i get power and it starts. The other day while riding it died no electrical power coasted to the side of the street and turned it off, played with the key and it started so i rode it back home. Today it started no problem. It is a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero VT750 has about 12000 miles it is on it second battery. Any help is greatly needed this is my therapy.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,442 Posts
Sounds like a bad ignition switch or a loose connection. Test it from the battery to the ignitions connection by connection see if you find anything loose

·
American Legion Rider
18,501 Posts
I was going to say remove the switch and see if there are any corroded connections. External and internal if it can be taken apart without flying apart. Might be wise to have a backup ready if you try the internal. But truly does sound like a loose or corroded connection.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Easy stuff first

I would say that it is more likely the power-robbing connection is away from the key switch. Take the connections loose at the battery and clean. The solenoid switch is another place for a loose or corroded connection. Being close to the battery promotes corrosion problems. Follow the red wire from that connection to the fuses and check for corrosion there. This is all just routine maintenance that should be happening after winter storage anyway, and chances are good that it will have an effect.

Keeping all these connections clean and in order also makes it more likely that your battery will stay fully charged as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts