Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some assistance. I have read about this happening but it is happening frequently. When riding the bike will act like it is starved for gas and then quit. Sometimes it will restart after 10-20 min and sometimes i have to get it towed.

I have replaced the in-line fuel filter, fuel pump (connections were coroded so that was an issue), and brand new battery. It only seems to happen when the tank is less than half.

Was on a ride last night - had the issue but got it to restart. Got to a gas station and filled up and it ride home just fine the rest of the way.

Is this just a fuel level issue?

·
Ace Tuner
3,481 Posts
In 2006, carbureted.

Maybe the fuel tank vent (in the gas cap) is clogged, stopping fuel flow. Possibly debris inside the tank are collecting around the petcock fuel pick up tube, stopping fuel flow.
Another guess... The amount of fuel in the tank just happens to be low when the bike acts up and there is a bad electrical connection causing the fuel pump to shut off sometimes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am wondering about a loose connection somewhere under my seat - i'm going to check all of those. I haven't checked the fuel tank vent yet - that is an interesting thought.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe not same as your problem but may give you an idea for a solution. I have experienced a very similar problem. The symptoms were almost exactly the same as yours. After months of trying to solve the problem eventually, inside my tank, I found a piece of very thin piece of polythene. (Similar to plastic bag material). When the fuel level was high the plastic was floating on top, then as the fuel level decreased the plastic would eventually cover the outlet pipe and the engine would cut out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts