Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm sorry to bother you all because this is my first post, by I've exhausted all other options that I can. I gotta get this bike running by tomorrow. I've read everything possible and tried everything, I'll go into detail.
So my bike has been on a ramp for almost a month now. I changed the chain and sprockets and the master link came off, less than 100 miles of driving, so I wasn't going to change the sprockets again, just the link and chain because when the link broke off while I was driving, it took off a link with it and made it too short., so, I just now changed the chain and link again.
Alright, now, I have it all out back together and the bike is stuck in first. So as in when the rear tire is in the air, it spins like it's in first and when I pull the clutch in, it comes to a stop...we all know how a clutch works.
Anyways, point is, it doesn't budge out of gear. I've tried everything I could find out. I've tried rocking the bike back and forth while shifting...nothing. Tried spinning it in the air while holding he clutch in, nothing. Another weird thing, even though the bike is in gear, with the engine off and without holding the clutch in I can push the bike past the resistance it puts up and roll the tire. What I mean by that is that since its in gear, the wheel should lock up and not move to save your life, but I can push it with some force and it WILL move. Makes me think something is broken or loose. But the bike was working fine before the link busted off, so I don't know what the issue is. Any suggestions would be nice.
Also, I haven't done any major repairs on my bike before, just maintenance. Still learning about my bike and bikes in general. So let's take it Barney Style please.
Thanks guys for any input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
There isn't much compression in the 250 engine and you can roll it in gear. You are simply turning the engine when you are rolling it. That's normal.

The Nighthawks can sometimes be tricky to get into neutral, but I haven't seen one that wouldn't shift at all. It seems like the clutch is working properly, so my guess would be something broken in the transmission. Likely not an easy fix since the case would have to be split to get to it.

Does the shift lever refuse to move at all?

·
Ace Tuner
2,905 Posts
If the shift lever will not move at all I would think something happened to the shift shaft when the chain let loose. (Bent maybe)?
Check to see if the engine cover (sprocket cover) is putting the shaft in a bind.
If the lever does move, maybe a shift mechanism problem.
If it is a bent shift shaft or a mechanism problem that can be fixed without splitting the case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There isn't much compression in the 250 engine and you can roll it in gear. You are simply turning the engine when you are rolling it. That's normal.

The Nighthawks can sometimes be tricky to get into neutral, but I haven't seen one that wouldn't shift at all. It seems like the clutch is working properly, so my guess would be something broken in the transmission. Likely not an easy fix since the case would have to be split to get to it.

Does the shift lever refuse to move at all?

Well, it "moves" slightly up and down maybe an inch and a half, but it doesn't actually "switch" into gear. So the shaft isn't completely locked technically. But yeah, just doesn't shift. I tried to figure out HOW it happened so that I could come up with one in a million solutions to it. I was trying to figure how maybe the way I got it on and off the truck when it broke down, how I moved it when I put it on this ramp, or if it was because of when the chain broke, it broke something internally in the tranny because of the high speed that I was going while it happened...high speed... I mean 70mph bro..

·
Ace Tuner
2,905 Posts
Sounds like the shift shaft may be in a bind.
Try taking the front sprocket cover off and take a look at the shaft.
If it's bent it could be binding against the cover.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the shift shaft may be in a bind.

Try taking the front sprocket cover off and take a look at the shaft.

If it's bent it could be binding against the cover.

Oh naw man, sorry, I didn't mention this. But I have the cover off just to watch the shaft and see exactly what is or isn't happening and to assure that nothing external is causing the issue. So the cover is off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the shift lever will not move at all I would think something happened to the shift shaft when the chain let loose. (Bent maybe)?

Check to see if the engine cover (sprocket cover) is putting the shaft in a bind.

If the lever does move, maybe a shift mechanism problem.

If it is a bent shift shaft or a mechanism problem that can be fixed without splitting the case.

I'm sorry, I didn't see your post. But no the shaft isn't bent at all even the slightest. And is there any kind of sensor or switch that I may have unplugged or broken?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The shift mechanism is 100% mechanical.

Is the shift spline turning with the shift lever?

Yeah. Unless I'm misunderstanding, why or how would the spline not turn with the lever? I feel like maybe I might not be understanding. Like the splines where the foot shifter goes on at the end of the shift shaftDOES turn when I push up or down, so there is some play.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the spline is stripped or not attached tightly, it can slip on the shift lever. Just something to check.

Oh no I wasn't putting what you said down, just wasn't sure if I was understanding it. But yeah, the shifter is on the splines and firmly so. I tightened up the screw just to be sure.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,296 Posts
Have you tried riding it a few feet and shifting?

·
14,296 Posts
Which would explain why you can push it in gear. Did you get it out of 3rd?

·
14,296 Posts
I'm out of ideas, sorry

·
Ace Tuner
2,905 Posts
If there is no damage to the shift shaft and the cover is not putting it in a bind and the lever is tight on the shaft.....
It has to be a problem with the shift mechanism or something inside the transmission.
Most likely the shift mechanism. The good news is you don't have to split the case to get to it. Bad news, clutch removal.
There is no down side to removing the clutch to check the mech's condition cause if the problem is in the trans, you gotta remove it to get to the trans.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts