Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had this bike in the shop for backfiring issues. Only backfires when I shift gears. Fine on the highway or back roads. Any thoughts??

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Do you mean after-fire - popping through the exhaust - or actual blasting from the intakes backfire? After-fire is fairly normal for newer bikes, as they are tuned kind of lean, and get leaner and pop when you reduce the throttle.

Did this just start, or has the bike always done it? If you have replaced the mufflers with more open ones, you can hear it more than with stock mufflers. If the bike is stock, and it just started this, then the system that enriches the mixture when the vacuum rapidly increases has stopped functioning properly; this is commonly called a coast valve, BTW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vstar 1100 acting like its running out of gas at like 60 miles

I have a 2005 Yamaha VStar 1100. I bought it used with about 33k miles on it and have rode it for a few months now. I would always fill it up around 110 miles just to be safe, I hate running out of gas as its happened to me a few times on another bike in LA traffic.

About a week ago, I the bike died while riding as if it ran out of gas yet it only had 67 miles on it since my last fill up, I pulled over tried to start it and it wouldnt start. Then when I filled the tank up..it started fine. I first thought I must have forgot to reset my trip meter on my last fill up, but just tonight around 67 miles it died again. I pulled over and switched it to reserve and got home okay.

It's also not been running well, it sputters, and seems to misfire more than I remember. I want to take it in to the shop but I'm a total newbie when it comes to motorcycle maintenance. Are there things I can check on my own first? What should I tell the shop to check out?

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
If you are running out of gas earlier than expected, you may have sticking float valves (I'm assuming carbs here, not FI). When the engine is cool, take out the spark plugs and have a look; also, open the oil fill cap and sniff for gas fumes.

·
Ace Tuner
2,936 Posts
If the bike is stock, and it just started this, then the system that enriches the mixture when the vacuum rapidly increases has stopped functioning properly; this is commonly called a coast valve, BTW.
Also called the air cut-off valve.

We need more information on this bike and how it backfires to be of much help.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a 2005 Yamaha VStar 1100. I bought it used with about 33k miles on it and have rode it for a few months now. I would always fill it up around 110 miles just to be safe, I hate running out of gas as its happened to me a few times on another bike in LA traffic.

About a week ago, I the bike died while riding as if it ran out of gas yet it only had 67 miles on it since my last fill up, I pulled over tried to start it and it wouldnt start. Then when I filled the tank up..it started fine. I first thought I must have forgot to reset my trip meter on my last fill up, but just tonight around 67 miles it died again. I pulled over and switched it to reserve and got home okay.

It's also not been running well, it sputters, and seems to misfire more than I remember. I want to take it in to the shop but I'm a total newbie when it comes to motorcycle maintenance. Are there things I can check on my own first? What should I tell the shop to check out?
sounds like your gas cap vent is not working next time it happens open your cap if you hear air wooshing you'll know

·
Visionary
4,632 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts