Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm a little bit cornered here. Something happened to a fuel line and once the engine is on, the bike leaks gas heavily. As pictured, this line is disconnected and I have no idea where it connects. I can't ride the bike to the workshop as it is, way too dangerous. Can you please help me to patch it up temporarily, so I can make the 10 miles to the workshop?

Cheers!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Ace Tuner
3,320 Posts
Hello calugaruvaxile,

Thanks for making your first post with us. Why don't you stop in at the new members section found here New Member Introductions and tell us a little about yourself. We like to get to know our new members a little.

That hose that is leaking fuel is almost positively a carburetor overflow line / vent hose. Meaning you carburetor/s are flooding over with fuel. There is no safe temporary patch for that. With the type of engine / carburetors that bike has there is a very good chance that fuel is flooding down into the crankcase. It would be a good idea to check for fuel in the engine oil.
You should not ride that bike with it dumping fuel. You need to find a truck...

S F

·
Registered
CB125R 2018 (CBF125NA European)
69 Posts
There are some "loose tubes" at the bottom of every bike, that's normal. However, looking at the provided picture, it does seem like that hose once connected to something, based on the widened end of it. Hoses that thin are usually some sort of overflow/vent pipe, like SemiFast suggested. Is your bike carburated or fuel injected?

Take into consideration that the end of the hose in the image isn't necessarily an "exit", it could just as well be the input side of whatever it used to connected to. Does the leaking fuel come from the hose, or somewhere else in the engine block?

In any case, I think I might have spotted where it should connect, all you need is a tiny hose clamp to secure it:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Finger Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
There are some "loose tubes" at the bottom of every bike, that's normal. However, looking at the provided picture, it does seem like that hose once connected to something, based on the widened end of it. Hoses that thin are usually some sort of overflow/vent pipe, like SemiFast suggested. Is your bike carburated or fuel injected?

Take into consideration that the end of the hose in the image isn't necessarily an "exit", it could just as well be the input side of whatever it used to connected to. Does the leaking fuel come from the hose, or somewhere else in the engine block?

In any case, I think I might have spotted where it should connect, all you need is a tiny hose clamp to secure it:
View attachment 69915

Nope, see how the end of the hose is all flared out and swolen, this is a tell tell sign it has not been connected prior..

·
Ace Tuner
3,320 Posts
Nope, see how the end of the hose is all flared out and swolen, this is a tell tell sign it has not been connected prior..
Yeah, the flare at the end is caused by a slight deterioration of the hose from gasoline fumes (tiny droplets of fuel) that collected at the end of the hose over the last 16 years. A normal running condition. That hose does not connect to anything.
The nipple circled in orange is another vent hose. It may have had a hose connected at some point but it is not uncommon for Honda to leave them open like seen in the pic. If it ever did have a hose that hose would have been routed to a "still air" area for venting.

S F

·
Registered
CB125R 2018 (CBF125NA European)
69 Posts
Yeah, the flare at the end is caused by a slight deterioration of the hose from gasoline fumes (tiny droplets of fuel) that collected at the end of the hose over the last 16 years. A normal running condition. That hose does not connect to anything.
The nipple circled in orange is another vent hose. It may have had a hose connected at some point but it is not uncommon for Honda to leave them open like seen in the pic. If it ever did have a hose that hose would have been routed to a "still air" area for venting.

S F
Thanks for the explanation. Learned something new again. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts