Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I am having a problem with my 2004 Honda Hornet CB600F. Whenever I turn on the power with the key and push the starter button, there will be times where nothing will happen. The dash indicator will show power and the gauges cycle. Then after a few moments, the power goes to the starter and the bike will start. Just recently, on a warmer day this winter, I attempted to start the bike, which was plugged into the trickle charger for months, and it did somewhat the same thing, but with the added bonus of having a weak battery. The problem should not be the battery as I have had it for about a year and a half, but it could be something wrong with the wiring leading to the battery.

Now I have had a problem where the connections to the battery have been loose, and thus have tightened them in the past, but this just does not make sense for it to come loose all the time.

Any suggestions on whether this could be a bad battery, a continued problem with the connections being loose on the battery, or some bigger electrical issue?
Should I invest in a multi-meter to test voltage?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Regards,
Alan

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,648 Posts
Never hurts to have a multi-meter. If your battery connection keep coming loose, try using some blue locktight on the connectors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never hurts to have a multi-meter. If your battery connection keep coming loose, try using some blue locktight on the connectors.
Hey Critter,
I’ll give that blue lock tight a try and see about finding a decent multi-meter! I appreciate that comments!

·
Ace Tuner
1,868 Posts
, I attempted to start the bike, which was plugged into the trickle charger for months,
and it did somewhat the same thing, but with the added bonus of having a weak battery. The problem should not be the battery as I have had it for about a year and a half, but it could be something wrong with the wiring leading to the battery.
Could be bad connections or maybe the start button is not making good contact but...
If the trickle charger does not have a "float" mode you may have overheated (overcharged) the battery while in storage.
Even if the charger does go to the float mode, having a weak battery makes me think you may just need a new battery.
It is not unheard of for a battery to die in only 1.5 years anyway.
Batteries can and will do some strange things. I've chased my tail more than once thinking the battery was good when it turned out that it was not.
Please let us know what you find.

S F

·
American Legion Rider
19,020 Posts
If the trickle charger does not have a "float" mode you may have overheated (overcharged) the battery while in storage.
Even if the charger does go to the float mode, having a weak battery makes me think you may just need a new battery.
I'll second this opinion. And I went to all the trouble of trying to head off problems like this with this post and we have a whole forum here talking about such things. Can't win. :( :( :(

·
Ace Tuner
1,868 Posts
I'll second this opinion.* And I went to all the trouble of trying to head off problems like this with this post and we have a whole forum here talking about such things. Can't win. :( :( :(
* All in Favor say Aye ;)

ROTFLMAO 🏍
S F

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey hogcowboy,
Thanks for the reply! I will see about testing the battery connections, the starter contact, and what not. When I figure out the problem, whether its wiring or the battery, I will reply back with my findings.

Regards,
Alan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey hogcowboy,
Thanks for the reply! I will see about testing the battery connections, the starter contact, and what not. When I figure out the problem, whether its wiring or the battery, I will reply back with my findings.

Regards,
Alan
All,

Thanks for the replies! I will see about testing the battery connections, the starter contact, and what not. When I figure out the problem, whether its wiring or the battery, I will reply back with my findings.

Regards,
Alan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All,

Seems like I found the problem this weekend. After opening up the left side panel, I found that the starter relay solenoid plug had a hole in it and looked melted. I have been told a lot of power flows through that plug and connector. So to remedy this, I will be ordering the new plug and most likely the connector as well. From there I will have a roommate of mine solder and use heat shrinks on the new connection to the wire harness (I do not have the proper equipment for this yet). Hope this works for me. I will post pictures tonight and show the damage. As far as the battery, I will start keeping it charged for a duration of time and then disconnect it from the trickle for a few weeks, then repeat the process.

Thanks for the responses again!

,Alan

·
Ace Tuner
1,868 Posts
How about that. Never thought about a burned up plug.
Wouldn't hurt to pack it with dielectric grease.
Glad you got it fixed and thanks for letting us know what you found. (y)

S F

·
American Legion Rider
19,020 Posts
Thanks for letting know. Looks like SemiFast was, a connection but boy, what a connector. Could the corrosion I see be what caused that or did the corrosion happen after the fact? In other words, is there still a cause further up or down the line? What do you think Semi?

·
Ace Tuner
1,868 Posts
Probably got damp or even wet while in storage. Corrosion then arcing, or arcing along with corrosion.
If I remember correctly (don't count on that) then that's the red main power wire coming straight off the battery.
No reason to believe there are more problems down the line.

S F

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about that. Never thought about a burned up plug.
Wouldn't hurt to pack it with dielectric grease.
Glad you got it fixed and thanks for letting us know what you found. (y)

S F
Hey SemiFast,
Yeah, dielectric grease does sound like a good idea.
Thanks for your input in this posting. Much needed advice.

,Alan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts