Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is a dirt bike collector/rider and he has intrigued me with a trade he wants to make. i am considering trading my excellent condition 1973 suzuki ts185 2-stroke enduro with tachometer for his 2003 kawasaki kx125. Mine runs strong and has a good 5-speed manual tranny. it will go about 75mph and revs good. his kx has an fmf pip and some other small mods. my ts185 has 18hp at 7,000rpm and the kx dyno'd at about 34hp max at around 8,000rpm. i think having a kx125 would be a wise choice as it would be more reliable than my 37 year old bike and will go faster :)
I could also probly get an enduro kit for the KX to make it street legal. Do you think i should make this trade or stick with the classic ts185? the ts is missing the headlight, taillight, speedometer, and battery but i am going to buy those parts this weekend and attach them to have a street legal classic. thanks for any and all advice

ride safetly

·
Keep it on 2 wheels unless you have to jump stuff
73 Posts
The KX125 is only worth about $1400. There are collectors that would pay more than that for your bike but on the other hand a KX125 is a lot of fun. Making the KX street legal is silly to me. Get a dual sport bike instead. Have a street legal 2-stroke would draw to much attention from cops and neighbors would hate it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
what kind of riding do you do, first of all? I wouldn't keep the TS unless you are going to restore & keep it. I did the old-bike thing for a while, and it got REAL OLD REAL FAST. Switching to a modern bike was like a ray of light.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up never making the trade. the kids grandpa's demands where way too high and my old play bike didnt meet his requirements. By the way the 185 cant stand the cold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts