Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering if there was any way to improve the acceleration of the 2003 Honda rebel. I know it's a little 250 but ya know, who doesn't wanna go a bit faster. Also, any advice on how I could put a tachometer on it and extend the foot pegs along with the gear shorter and brake? Thanks! :)

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
You can probably find an electronic tach that works off the coil and mount that up to your handlebars or somewhere. I don't know if forward controls are offered for that bike, but a call to the JP Cycles metric tech line might help with that.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Are you looking to improve the acceleration or the top speed? (Usually one can be sacrificed in favor of the other by final drive gearing changes)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I had seen the clip on the hand bar tachs but I didn't know how accurate they were.

And I am more interested in acceleration, I don't go on the highway so top speed isn't a concern

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I am sure you can change sprockets, but you will definitely give up some top end in order to gain a little acceleration. Top end isn't that great if you weigh more than a few pounds.

If more acceleration is what you are after, it would be a good time to sell the Rebel and get a bike that is built more for what you want out of it.

Rebels are more training and city bikes, that and being reliable are about all they are. They do a good job of holding resale value too.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Engine-wise you could open the intake, add a more open 2-1 exhaust and re-jet the carb for the new configuration. The horsepower gain would be minimal, however.

·
American Legion Rider
18,662 Posts
Why not just trade up? That's half the fun of bikes, getting different ones.:thumbsup:

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
One simple way to improve a bike's acceleration is to lose some of its weight.. anything you can shed from the bike?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I don't want to lose the fuel efficiency of the rebel, and from what I read on sprocket changes they just increased the top end speed, and it's pretty bare bones and I'm 5'11" 170lbs so not much to lose :/.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Sprocket changes can also do the opposite. A larger rear sprocket will reduce top end speed and effectively lower the gear ratio. Of course you may end up with a 30 MPH top speed, but you can get there quicker. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would recommend one of the specific Honda Rebel forums (there are two). Those guys have a lot of experience with Rebels. Great little bikes, by the way. I ride one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts