Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 BMW k1200lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site requires you introduce yourself as one of your first few posts so people know you are serious and not a hit and run type poster. Introductions found here ... https://www.motorcycleforum.com/forums/new-member-introductions.305/
My 03 started making a strange sound last fall under the rear storage. I didn't realize what it was until recently when I went to start it and it died about 30 seconds after running.

I dug into it and found that the power wire to the alarm melted and stuck to a few other leads. The alarm must have melted inside too.

I removed the alarm system and jumped the leads as shown in other threads. I actually did this by joining 3 to 11 and 10 to 2 back further up the line so as to be before the melted wires.
Everything on my bike works as it should. Radio, all lights, horn, blinkers, abs compressor, etc.

With the key on, bike in neutral, kill switch on, push the button and nothing happens. I jumped from the + battery terminal to the positive block connector under the seat and it started right up and ran great.

Where should I start looking??

·
Shadow Moderator
1,613 Posts
I'm moving this to the Motorcycle Repair forum, and also ask that you go to the New Member Introduction forum and introduce yourself. Thanks.

·
Shadow Moderator
1,613 Posts
I've done a fair bit of work on my own '03 R1150RT but have never dived into any K bike. I know we have at least a couple of members here who own wedge K bikes, maybe they can help.

·
8,592 Posts
Look for a new battery! Then after you have fixed the wiring situation, keep that 'Spaceship' on a battery tender whenever it isn't in use! 😁

I've owned 5 Beemers and one was a 2000 K1200 LTC and it was one of the best bikes I've ever owned!(y)

Welcome to a great Forum! (please send fresh or frozen LOBSTA :p)

Sam:cool:

·
Registered
2003 BMW k1200lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look for a new battery! Then after you have fixed the wiring situation, keep that 'Spaceship' on a battery tender whenever it isn't in use! 😁

I've owned 5 Beemers and one was a 2000 K1200 LTC and it was one of the best bikes I've ever owned!(y)

Welcome to a great Forum! (please send fresh or frozen LOBSTA :p)

Sam:cool:

View attachment 66480
Yes, the battery is a brand new dealer battery and it's been sitting on a battery tender all winter. If I jump the battery to depositive terminal connections under the seat the bike starts up no problem. The issue is that it will not start using the switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts